Spices

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RUBYRW
Rustler

Spices

Postby RUBYRW » Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm

How long prior to a smoke does everyone season/rub your meats?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Re: Spices

Postby david brace » Sat May 19, 2018 1:56 pm

I have tried doing as some say and rubbed pork butts and ribs a number of hours before, but frankly nobody noticed any difference. So since then I have never done it again.

I just apply a binder of sometimes mustard but usually wooster sauce, and then apply the rub onto that. To state a time...I'd say the binder and rub goes on within an hour of the meat going to do it's work.
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sun May 20, 2018 4:38 pm

I always lay on the spices the night before. Sometimes I'll sprinkle more before it goes in the pit.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 20, 2018 5:24 pm

For me it really depends on the Meat I'm rubbing - - - for chicken it's just an hour or slightly more, for ribs several hours before but I did a new technique (new for me anyhow) on the Pork Shoulders I did last week. The evening before the next mornings smoke I rubbed them with Honey Mustard and then covered them in Rub. Then I double wrapped them in plastic wrap and into the frig overnight. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:For me it really depends on the Meat I'm rubbing - - - for chicken it's just an hour or slightly more, for ribs several hours before but I did a new technique (new for me anyhow) on the Pork Shoulders I did last week. The evening before the next mornings smoke I rubbed them with Honey Mustard and then covered them in Rub. Then I double wrapped them in plastic wrap and into the frig overnight. :salut:

That's more or less what we do....ribs included.
Moink!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Gotta agree with OUP and Kenshin. That's pretty much my routine.

One thing to consider if you're not noticing any difference operating that way is your spices might be stale. Salt is about the only thing that has a long shelf life. Pepper, garlic, etc... is all going to fizzle out and lose aroma and flavor. Never mind it's hard to find spices at the grocery store that haven't had half the flavor processed out of them to begin with.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun May 20, 2018 6:20 pm

I use a lot of spices, normally bought in seed form, every month or so I dry roast and grind and store in an air tight container. Spices I use are cumin, coriander, fenugreek,star anise to name a few.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sun May 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Right before it hits the grates.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”