Neighbors brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Neighbors brisket

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:19 am

Our next door neighbors have asked me if I am willing to cook them a brisket for Sunday. Let the freaking out begin! I have only done 1 brisket and that was years ago. I really hope it turns out good if they decide to let me do it. The weather is supposed to be crappy today down here. I won't be able to start it till prob 8 tonight so that means an all fighter. They also gave me a copy of their family's BBQ sauce made from rendered beef fat but I can't remember what all goes in it. If anyone has a sauce similar to that I sure could use it. I half way want to get out of it and I half way want to do it.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: Neighbors brisket

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Alright! Here we go! I dug up a post from a couple of years ago by blue dawn I think. It was a rub called beef dust and an injection called bovine nectar. I hope it turns out good. As soon as the rain goes away I will fire up the offset which should be around 1 or 2 in the morning. Hopefully it should be done around 6 or 7 tomorrow night.
Attachments
20180414_153240.jpg
20180414_150443.jpg
20180414_150449.jpg
20180414_151858.jpg
20180414_153240.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Good Luck, Justin, and remember that we have some Brisket Gurus here so don't hesitate to give "them" a chance to help you if need be. Good Neighbors ROCK :tup: :salut: :cheers: :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm

JustinCouch wrote:Alright! Here we go! I dug up a post from a couple of years ago by blue dawn I think. It was a rub called beef dust and an injection called bovine nectar. I hope it turns out good. As soon as the rain goes away I will fire up the offset which should be around 1 or 2 in the morning. Hopefully it should be done around 6 or 7 tomorrow night.

That was Blue Dawg - haven’t seen him in da hood for a while. Nice guy. Always direct and to the point.

Buena suerte Amigo
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Glad Y'all mentioned Blue Dawg - - - I remembered that he had shared a Brisket Recipe with me and here tis.

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from the FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER> This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Well its been on for 2 hours now and I just flipped it. Now for another 2 to 3 hours of smoke exposure and I will think about putting it in a tin pan. I know its only 2 hours in but I want to wait for q good bark. In cooking for Texas natives so I want it to be perfect.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Flipped it?
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Yes. I flopped it once already at 2 hours. I took several chunks of mesquite wood and bold them. I have been putting 1 wet one with. 1 dry chunk on every hour or so. I think I as m going to foil it at around 5 hours. I think that might be enough smoke. Then I will worry about tenderness$.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 pm

White smoke is bad, good luck
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 am

We need pictures
Attachments
mamtz.jpg
mamtz.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:17 am

WOW, and all this time I thought Al Gore invented BBQ - - :scratch: :dont: :whiteflag:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Well here is the proof I actually did it. I am super pleased with the way it turned out. I think the injection was the trick. The only thing I would change would be to not use mesquite wood. I don't care for the earthy kinda dirt taste the wood left. It was store bought chunks which I should have learned my lesson on years ago.
Attachments
20180415_134032.jpg
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Looks pretty darn good to me. :)

As far as the earthy, kinda dirt taste... Never ran into that with Mesquite, but then again I'm using a pellet pooper, not a stick burner. Slight difference in fire there. Franklin says alot of smoke coming out the stack means you've got a dirty fire though and as a result you're getting creosote all over your cook (which tastes earthy and dirty). That's what Rambo meant by white smoke is bad, I'm guessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ39yYxeBk

Take all of this for what it's worth. I'm a brisket rookie after all. I'm a pretty good researcher though. :D
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Just my opinion and I’ve played with this a lot: I love Mesquite on steaks and the small pork tenderloins: for longer smokes I prefer hickory or post/red oak
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Or Pecan’s even better

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”