Longest....smoke......ever

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Longest....smoke......ever

Postby TX1911 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:21 am

Almost a year ago, our team donated a cook to one of our local Ducks Unlimited Chapters. The first time we set up the cook, Harvey rolled through and derailed those plans. It was rescheduled to Saturday. Friday, they called and cancelled. Meat was bought and thawed, so I cooked anyway. I had offered to cook for some neighbors as well since the pit was going.

There must have been something in the air. Had to be. Nothing else makes sense.

Up at 3:30 to light the pit (charcoal to get the oak lighted)
Resized_20180331_035128001.jpg

Pit was ready by 4:30, so the briskets went on.

10lb HEB Prime 1 - mustard slather and the last of the cactus dust in the house
IMG_0493.JPG

12.5lb Kroger Select (neighbor brought it) - mustard slather and SPG
IMG_0494.JPG

The cook progressed extremely well throughout the morning. The only exception is the fuel consumption was high due to winds. But I had a probe at grate level monitoring temps and it clung pretty close to 265 all day.

Ribs went on at 10am. I only got pictures of 2 of the full spares (cooked 4); and the lone baby back - All with mustard slather and Hog Waller
IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Now comes the odd part. As I mentioned, the temperature at grate level stayed pretty close to my target for the majority of the day. I expected the briskets to be done sometime between 4pm and 6pm, if not sooner. I'm firmly entrenched in the "they're done when they're done" camp, but this cook almost broke me. The spares finished on time, and came off about 4, but I didn't take any pictures. The baby back took a lot longer than anticipated. It came off at 5:30, for a 7.5 hour cook. I usually run baby backs less than 5 hours.

Now, the briskets. You'd expect 8-10 hours @ 265 for a 10lb brisket, right? That sucker didn't come off the pit until 9:30pm. 17hrs. Now, it was delicious, well, the bite I had (too late for any more). I still was cognizant enough to snap a picture while I sliced it for the vacuum sealer.

IMG_0501.JPG

At that point, the other brisket was holding steady at 183 internal. Thinking it was a thermo problem, I changed units and slightly moved the location on the flat. Same temp.

So I just let it roll. Until 11:30. For a cook time of 19 hours. :shock: I didn't get a picture of it due to some personal things within the family Saturday night, and the fact that I was darned tired.

In looking back, it was a very low humidity day, so I'm thinking that could have played a roll. Unfortunately, I have no idea if that's right, or whatever could have taken so long. All in all, it was a fun day, as is any day I get to light the big pit and cook, but I've never been so frustrated with a cook! In the end, I churned out the two briskets, 4 full racks of spares, the rack of baby backs and (not pictured) a S&P turkey breast on the pellet grill, since I maxed out the offset.

Anyway, thanks for looking!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Longest....smoke......ever

Postby Rambo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 pm

I had the same problem on the same day(refer to Easter Menu Tread) Took me 17 hours on the brisket and 6 on the BB's. I was exhausted
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:27 pm

For an 8-10 hour brisket, I generally have to average 300 degrees. They just won't give up the fight sooner otherwise.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:37 pm

It might have frustrated you but that brisket looks outstanding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:41 pm

That's what got me. I expected 10, planned for 12 (well, 13.5 to have them done by dinner), but ended up with 17 and 19, respectively. I've not had such difficulty in the past. Both briskets hit the normal stall around 160. Then, they seemed to have a secondary stall at 183. :dont:

As mentioned, they tasted great, so all's well. Just odd that Rambo had the same issue on the same day, as did smokermike with his pork (at least it sounds similar). I'm going to chalk it up to the lack of humidity and file it away!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:21 pm

"When the Moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets and BBQ will take Forever to Cook" :rose: :rambo: :drunk: :oops: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:03 pm

I got nearly the same story as TX1911. 10#er went 15 hours. Standard 160 stall and then stalled again at 180. Was 2.5 hr. first stall and yet another 2.5 hr. the second time. It also was 3-3.5 hr. between stalls running 270. After so many of us having the same experience I'm voting humidity.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:24 pm

I had a Boston Butt stall at 150 internal temp for 7 hours March 31st-April 1st cook. Started at 7pm Saturday pulled off smoker 18 hours later
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 pm

This is a strange thread
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Rambo wrote:This is a strange thread

I’m scared to read it…afraid it may curse my next brisket cook :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:48 am

Just take 5 Rib bones and on a full moon night form them in the shape of an Arrow - place outside pointing towards Ft. Bend County and dance around them singing this song. :texas: :chef: :texas: :chef: :texas: :chef: :texas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOzYo51qRZc
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 am

"it's done when it's done" can be a method much like, "til death do us part"; and take......
FOREVER!!!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 am

Aww Man, did you have to go and compare BBQ to Marriage :?: :banghead: :dont: :whiteflag:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:26 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Aww Man, did you have to go and compare BBQ to Marriage :?: :banghead: :dont: :whiteflag:

Well, there's good smokes and bad ones.. Then there's... Well, you get the idea!!
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”