Hey Russ!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Hey Russ!

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Hey there buddy. I'm wondering how long its been since you used the honky hangy? I would like to see a picture of that thing along with what you cook in it.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Hey Russ!

Postby Russ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:30 pm

JustinCouch wrote:Hey there buddy. I'm wondering how long its been since you used the honky hangy? I would like to see a picture of that thing along with what you cook in it.

Hi brother, havnt used in about 18 months, last big cook here was the pig on the spit which I started a thread on. The honky hangi is due for another cook. I will post any pics I have here in a minute or two. Again here is the cooker, a 44 gallon drum converted to a pressure cooker basically.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

2 burner gas under the drum and 3 hour cook and meat just falls off the bone. You can see the drum with perforated sheet that meat sits on. There's a metal cross that sits on the 4 welded pieces on the internal drum. Water is filled up to the hole about 4 inches up from the bottom. Drum is sealed.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm

That thing is cool.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:35 pm

I normally cook 2 legs lamb and a half shoulder of pork then next layer is 3 or 4 chickens, then on top of that a pillow case with veges being potatoes kumara ( sweet potatoe) carrots and pumpkin.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:39 pm

JustinCouch wrote:That thing is cool.

Do you get the picture of how it works? Unless you've seen it work I guess it's hard to understand. !! Imagine a big version of a pressure cooker would be best way I can describe it. I don't think any body near you would have anything like this.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Swamptrout
Pilgrim

Postby Swamptrout » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Kia ora Russ.

That thing is a beast. Do u still get the earthy flavours you get from a traditional hangi? Bet u like the no digging aspect too eh?
My obsessions - cooking, grilling, burning, smoking.
My possessions - GMG DB, Akorn, Hark Roti, Ziggy Triple, Viva Multi Cooker.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:29 am

Swamptrout wrote:Kia ora Russ.

That thing is a beast. Do u still get the earthy flavours you get from a traditional hangi? Bet u like the no digging aspect too eh?

Yes yes yes, you get an earthy flavour with the steaming, the cabbage on top tastes is unbelievable. It's called honky hangi as us white folk are lazy to dig a big pit. I've done the pit cook about 30 years ago, huge fire then chunks of rail way iron heated up instead of volcanic stone.i will post pics when I do a cook with it. I get about 30 here for the day. Then a good feed for family n friends.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”