What’s the right size?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Patman
Pilgrim

What’s the right size?

Postby Patman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:03 pm

I’m looking at buying or building a smoker/grill. I’d only need to smoke 3 briskets and about 6 racks of baby backs max at a time. Should I stay small to this size or stay true to my Texas roots and go big?
canadian smoker USER_AVATAR
Canadian Smoker
Rustler

Re: What’s the right size?

Postby Canadian Smoker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:30 am

I believe it's all ways better to have a little extra real estate......better to have a little extra than not enough.
Tools:
Horizon Marshal 20" RD Special Offset
22" Weber Master Touch (limited edition smoke color)
Large BGE
Napoleon Gasser

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe,and it has a longer shelf life."
Frank Zappa"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

Agreed. It's better to have a little extra than wishing you did. I built mine and it is plenty big enough to do what you are asking. BTW mine is an offset forward flow 42" grill with firebox similar design like Yoder Wichita. Just get your math right on the design.

Remember, the bigger it is, the more material you use to heat it.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 am

I guess I need to get out more BECAUSE I'm having a hard time grasping the word SMALL in connection with 3 briskets and 6 racks of bonze at the same time :dont: :scratch: :laughing7: :lol: :D and YES, I'm also a Native :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm

BBQ's are like shops. You figure out what will work and then build it twice that size. Made that mistake on my shop. Go for the Gusto....
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 am

Patman wrote:I’m looking at buying or building a smoker/grill. I’d only need to smoke 3 briskets and about 6 racks of baby backs max at a time. Should I stay small to this size or stay true to my Texas roots and go big?

If you do not like shuffling meat around while it is cooking I would say you will need at least a 24" x 60" chamber I would prefer a 30" x 60" though if I did not want to have to rotate meat.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Patman
Pilgrim

Postby Patman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 am

Does larger grill mean it will hold temp longer as well?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 am

k.a.m. wrote:
Patman wrote:I’m looking at buying or building a smoker/grill. I’d only need to smoke 3 briskets and about 6 racks of baby backs max at a time. Should I stay small to this size or stay true to my Texas roots and go big?

If you do not like shuffling meat around while it is cooking I would say you will need at least a 24" x 60" chamber I would prefer a 30" x 60" though if I did not want to have to rotate meat.

I'll agree with K.A.M. however my initial thoughts were this....

Minimum diameter of 24" for sure.... Length, well that depends on the cooker. With proper tuning plate set-up and two racks you could likely go 24"x48" or even 24"x40". That wouldn't leave any room for extras (sides or whatnot) but I'm of the opinion that you can go too big.

How often would you cook the amount of food you listed per year? If only on occasion (2x-3x) then I wouldn't go much bigger than 60" long chamber. Big pits CAN take more wood and to a degree more work. I've had a trailer pit (250 gallon R/F) thinking I could consider catering but the truth was it was just too large for doing one brisket or a couple racks of ribs, which is normally the case.

Having gone too small and too big.... there is a pit that's "juuuuust right" once you figure your true usage.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Patman wrote:Does larger grill mean it will hold temp longer as well?

I understand heat retention is more a factor of wall thickness (either heavy iron or insulation) plus design.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”