Two 14 lbs briskets at once

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Spacerust
Pilgrim

Two 14 lbs briskets at once

Postby Spacerust » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:11 pm

I normally cook one 9-12 lbs, but smoking two 14 lbs tomorrow for the game. Anything I should be aware of since this is my first big smoke? I usually start around 3 or 4 in the morning, but that was just to be ready around the time the Cowboys used to play (lol) just not sure if it will affect the times. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Two 14 lbs briskets at once

Postby Txdragon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Hello and welcome! It WILL make a bit of a difference in time, more meat to soak up heat, but not by that much. Your usual method would help determine the assistance needed though. Do you normally wrap? Cooker size? Etc, etc.. May wanna rotate your briskets halfway through, or wrap a bit sooner or both.
I treat multiples cooks identical, to be honest. Only time it would make that big a difference is if you're cooking different items together; brisket, butt, ribs.. You get the idea!
(Insert witty signature here)
Spacerust
Pilgrim

Postby Spacerust » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:14 pm

I normally smoke it till it gets up to around 165 and then wrap it in butcher paper until it’s ready. Although with one brisket I usually have room to move it around if needed, with two it it wil pretty much take up all the room I have in the pit. I tried to pick briskets that we’re similiar to try and even things out.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Spacerust wrote:I normally smoke it till it gets up to around 165 and then wrap it in butcher paper until it’s ready. Although with one brisket I usually have room to move it around if needed, with two it it wil pretty much take up all the room I have in the pit. I tried to pick briskets that we’re similiar to try and even things out.

Then you'll most certainly need to rotate them at least once, if not a couple times.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”