Shape of Brisket ?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Shape of Brisket ?

Postby bondobill » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:20 pm

When picking out a brisket do any of y'all take in the shape of the brisket as a deciding factor.
Reason I ask is I smoked up 2 briskets yesterday. Both where roughly 18 lbs before trimming. One was long and narrow width wise.
The other was much more compact. Shorter length, much wider and had a much thicker flat then the other one.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The compact one took about a hour or so longer to probe tender then the other one.
Served up both of them last night for a party we had yesterday down on the river.
The long,narrow one was good but with a side by side comparision the compact brisket kicked its butt as far as moist and tender. Both got rave reviews from the crowd but I could tell there was a big difference between the two of them.
Both the briskets where Costco primes.
I'm still just a rookie when it comes to smoking brisket. Did I just get lucky with the more compact brisket or do I need to start taking in the shape of the brisket when choosing :?:

Oh btw...this was to be my entry in the throw down but....for reasons beyond my control a good photo never happened. :roll: That's for another thread...maybe :whiteflag: :banghead:

Bill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Shape of Brisket ?

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:55 pm

A good question indeed! The muscle groups will be the same on all briskets, but the animal and butchery of that animal also play a large factor to the end cut.
(Insert witty signature here)
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:25 pm

I do as far as thickness goes. If the brisket is average size but the thickness is off the charts, I tend to not choose it. I try and get the same or close to same thickness when comparing the flat to the point. I try and look at the amount of fat as well since i'm most likely trimming some off. Other than that, smoke it, Q it and pass the napkins it's time to take a nap.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:12 am

If I could get bark like that, even I might try a brisket again - - - :dont: sorry bout the photo phail but you've still got time to get entered in the TD :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 am

The shape doesn't concern me near as much as the thickness of the flat. I look for as thick and well marbled as possible and try to picture in my head what shape it will retain after trimming. If the edges of the flat are tapering down to less than an 1 1/2" or so I know I'll have to trim away quite a bit away to have a flat that wont burn up. Shaping so it is as aerodynamic as possible makes for an even'er (is that a word) cook. I don't throw the trimmings away, I smoke them too for a little snack along the way.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:19 am

I look for uniform thickness in the flat. The only time the shape concerns me, is at a comp. Then I use my knife to make it the shape I want it to be.
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am

outlaw wrote:The shape doesn't concern me near as much as the thickness of the flat. I look for as thick and well marbled as possible and try to picture in my head what shape it will retain after trimming. If the edges of the flat are tapering down to less than an 1 1/2" or so I know I'll have to trim away quite a bit away to have a flat that wont burn up. Shaping so it is as aerodynamic as possible makes for an even'er (is that a word) cook. I don't throw the trimmings away, I smoke them too for a little snack along the way.

What he said. :salut:

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Just because it is labeled prime doesn't mean it has the marbling a prime should have. I have seen choice briskets that should have been labeled prime and I have seen primes that should have been marked choice. The shape of the brisket has never really played a part in my selection unless I am choosing a competition brisket then I am looking at the marbling and how thick the flat is where I get my pieces from I do not worry about the whole flat too much just what I need.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:13 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Just because it is labeled prime doesn't mean it has the marbling a prime should have.

The reasoning for this very notion is because the carcass grading is done in just a couple seconds, looking at a cut section between ribs 12 and 13. If it grades as prime here, the whole animal is stamped as such. Pretty lame if ya ask me..
(Insert witty signature here)
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Whether I'm cooking at home or at a comp. I prefer a thicker flat. In both cases I trim fairly aggressive. And since I cook comps every now and then every brisket is sort of a practice brisket. The really nice briskets I find get put in the freezer.. for comps. :laughing7:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks all for replying :D
Instead of picking one up when I need one, from now on every time I go to Costco I'll look thru the briskets and if I find one or more with nice marbling and a thick even flat I'll grab it and start a stock pile in the freezer.

:cheers:
Bill

BTW
This is what was left of my was to be throw down entry after the dogs got to it.
A buddy dropped my first tray of sliced brisket in the dirt. It "was" a thing of beauty. :whiteflag:
All I could do at that point was laugh.

image.jpeg
motabbq
Rustler

Postby motabbq » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:35 am

I like a brisket that’s uniform. Some folks like a big point. I make sure and leave enough fat on the flat. It needs the protection.

Also I tend go for a smaller brisket. I will go as high as 12 and typically trim and shape if need to about 10.. There is always plenty of fat left. I never over trim. And pieces that get removed are nice bits to eat after cooking for a few hours and wrapping in foil.

I left extra fat on this one on the flat purposely. It wasn’t a bad thing.. the flat was nice and tender....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”