Franklin brisket in my stocking

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Franklin brisket in my stocking

Postby outlaw » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 am

All I can say about this is I would not want my first Franklin experience to be from one of his vac sealed and heated later briskets. Even though I use the same method for LEFTOVERS I would want mine straight off the block when he is asking you what you prefer. :dont: :dont: :dont:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:59 am

Chasdev wrote:Could be but I've cooked them fast and slow with seasoned post oak and the flavor is unique.

The lines at his place speak volumes for his repeat customers. His wood piles are huge I doubt it is his wood selection. There is a good chance that in your mind you are expecting what you think the brisket should be. Everyones interpretation of a perfectly cooked brisket is different some feel over smoked food is what its all about while others like a more subtle smoke. I would never stand in line for more than 20 minutes for any meal because I know what I turn out at home is every bit as good.

Typically I use nothing but hickory and red oak for my cookers but this weekend I tried pecan and oak on a neighbors brisket. They actually liked the pecan oak mix better. It is all in what you perceive as good BBQ. You may stand in line at his place and find that that is what all his briskets taste like and you are over smoking your's. But at the end of the day if that is what you like you have found what you want. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 am

outlaw wrote:All I can say about this is I would not want my first Franklin experience to be from one of his vac sealed and heated later briskets. Even though I use the same method for LEFTOVERS I would want mine straight off the block when he is asking you what you prefer. :dont: :dont: :dont:

I vac seal all my cooked brisket after eating my fill, the wife just nibbles, and while I can eat a decent amount right off the smoker, I have to vac seal and freeze the rest or it goes bad.
ALL of mine has tasted great out of the vac bag, so while there is no substitute for meat straight from a smoker, thawed is still pretty close.
Which is why I'm cornfused as to why his lacked smoke flavor what with the dark exterior.
And yes I do love lots of smoke flavor, as long as it's from the "pale blue".
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am

The people who wont stand in the lines to try them first hand are always the most critical.

"Theres no smoke ring"

"Theres no smoke flavor"

"Mine is better"

"Its hipster BBQ, not real BBQ".

What else? The sauce was too thin and runny and not sweet like the kind you get at the grocery store?

You just got a taste of real brisket and youre confused because you have convinced yourself those creosote bricks you have been cranking out in the backyard are what its supposed to be like.

All those Top 50 are really similar to Franklin. If youre saying yours is better than Franklin, youre saying yours are better than the Top 50. And thats laughable. Im sure your wife is nice. But she clearly knows nothing about good BBQ. And you judge based on fake smoke rings and smoke flavor. You have much to learn too.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 am

Wow, packing an attitude there are we?
First thing I did after buying my stickburner was to buy and read Franklin's excellent book (and re-read and re-read and re-read it).
Other than not buying tip top level briskets (heck I don't even like prime grade, they are too fatty) his instructions will yield even a new guy some great brisket, and mine were and are quite tasty.
My wife, thanks for asking, can't stomach too much of any food at any one time and is not a big red meat eating gal anyway.
But enough about me, lets hear about your superior process.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 am

rockinar wrote:The people who wont stand in the lines to try them first hand are always the most critical.

"Theres no smoke ring"

"Theres no smoke flavor"

"Mine is better"

What else? The sauce was too thin and runny and not sweet like the kind you get at the grocery store?

You just got a taste of real brisket and youre confused because you have convinced yourself those creosote bricks you have been cranking out in the backyard are what its supposed to be like.

All those Top 50 are really similar to Franklin. If youre saying yours is better than Franklin, youre saying yours are better than the Top 50. And thats laughable. Im sure your wife is nice. But she clearly knows nothing about good BBQ. And you judge based on fake smoke rings and smoke flavor. You have much to learn too.

Yes, enlightened one. Please let us in on your process so we may completely disregard all we have learned over many years, many triumphs, many failures, and go right to your proven fail safe method. I could have saved so much money and just waited on you to tell me how? If only I had know. :dont: :dont: :dont:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 am

outlaw wrote:Yes, enlightened one. Please let us in on your process so we may completely disregard all we have learned over many years, many triumphs, many failures, and go right to your proven fail safe method. I could have saved so much money and just waited on you to tell me how? If only I had know. :dont: :dont: :dont:

:D :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Still waiting...........rockinar
Bockbock
Dillo Q
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:16 pm

:happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 pm

:happ: :drunk: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
FWL2579
Wrangler

Postby FWL2579 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 am

Whichever side you are on in this debate... you got to love the passion for BBQ!!!
Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis S-330
el luchador
Pilgrim

Postby el luchador » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 am

rockinar wrote:The people who wont stand in the lines to try them first hand are always the most critical.

"Theres no smoke ring"

"Theres no smoke flavor"

"Mine is better"

so let me summarize

the OP is Delusional
His wife is ignorant
and his food is Junk

oh, and Franklin's is what real brisket should taste like but only if you stand in line 5 hours?

the rudeness of this is shocking.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am

Any food would taste better if I had to stand in a line for hours, heck the foot long corn dogs at the F1 races almost begin to taste like food after waiting in THAT line..
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:46 pm

The Day that I stand in line for 5 hours to eat will be the day that Jennifer Nettles is Waiting Tables. :P :D
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Think of it in August...holy cow, it's Africa hot here then...

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”