Smoking a Turkey

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

coachwad
Pilgrim

Smoking a Turkey

Postby coachwad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 am

Going to try this for the holiday. Anyone have a good recipe to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Smoking a Turkey

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 am

Heya, welcome aboard! Depending on what you want to brine your Turkey in, I can't say there much "recipe" involved. I've always kept my Turkey brine pretty straightforward with just a simple salt/sugar brine with a bit of lemon juice thrown in the mix. I would then smoke with pecan. I'm working on a bit more of a bold brine mix with a good cumin follow through, but it's in R and D at the moment.
(Insert witty signature here)
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:51 am

I must concur with Txdragon. My base brine is pretty typical salt, sugar, vinegar and water. To that I generally add black pepper corns, garlic, jalapeno, chile de arbol, chile guajillo, chile ancho and limes. Yes we tend to lean towards spicy everything. I also like to cook with the breast down. :whiteflag: I think it tends to help keep the moisture in the breast and not at the bottom of the cavity. Not a Norman Rockwell traditional presentation but not a dried out breast either.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Hey Welcome, Coach, these Members really know their Brining when it comes to Gobblers HOWEVER, I always cook mine Beer Can Style and have never been disappointed. Even tho it'll be sitting on a can of constant maranating, I also inject my Bird with Tony's Creole Butter (See Pic) - - - Good Luck with your cook and if you can, post up a pic when it's done for us to see. :tup: HAPPY THANKSGIVING :salut:

IMG_0012.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
pmillen
Pilgrim

Postby pmillen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 pm

1. Spatchcock it. It's like butterflying. There are several videos on youtube.

2. Brine it for an hour per pound.

3. Dry it thoroughly when removing it from the brine.

4. Put it in the refrigerator for a day (dries the skin, nothing else).

5. Rub it under the skin (lift it gently from the breast, pull it gently from the thighs and legs).

6. Pin the skin back with toothpicks and rub it.

7. Put it in the smoker with the breast up.

8. Smoke it until the breast is at 165°F. The thighs should be at 175°F at the same time. If not, leave it in the smoker until the thighs are at 175°F.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”