Brisket cook, first smoker then oven, how long in oven?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Brisket cook, first smoker then oven, how long in oven?

Postby Chasdev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:20 pm

After reading the "mini-brisket" post today I'm going to Smoke a 12lb packer at 250/275 until it reaches 165/170 internal then pan+wrap in foil and finish in the oven at 220 till around 200 internal, then allow to rest down to 180 then back in the oven at 275 for 15 minute to set the bark.
I need to make a guess as to how many hours in the oven at 225 to bring internal temp to 200 from 165?
I figure 5/6 hours of oak smoke but how long in the oven to finish, plus 2/3 to rest..
Got this feed the family on time thing stressing me out...
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Brisket cook, first smoker then oven, how long in oven?

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Why are you reducing the temp when you go to foil and the oven? Why not just continue the 250°/275°?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:06 am

I would LIKE to smoke the entire time at 225 but I don't want to TAKE the time to do it low and slow, so second best (or I hope first best maybe) is hot and fast for as long a I want to sit outside tending fire followed by low and slow in the kitchen oven to increase the probability of tenderness.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 am

The brisket will be tender when done if you go hot and fast the whole cook it is done every day. I actually prefer hot and fast on lesser cuts as it helps retain what little moisture they have. Going low and slow on selects almost always yields dry flats.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:57 am

It's a choice packer with decent marbling..I've never cooked one other than at 275/325 and want to see what the low and slow fuss is all about, minus the extra 4 hours of fire tending that is..but finishing in the oven at 275 will shorten the cook time and allow plenty of rest and cool down time...
Whatever I end up deciding, it's going into the oven at 170 internal, I'm almost out of dry oak mini-splits and am completely out of the desire to nursemaid the fire all day.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:12 am

I thought the ceramic cookers were set it and forget it cookers. Did you buy another offset?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 am

Sold one and kept one, still have a pellet pooper and a Kamado plus a Large and three mini-webbers for grilling burgers and steaks.
One clue you may have missed is that I'm going to burn oak not charcoal.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:42 am

Chasdev wrote:One clue you may have missed is that I'm going to burn oak not charcoal.

I didn't miss that part that is why I asked. I just thought you were cooking on the Kamado now I was not aware you had two offsets.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:52 am

Seems to me you can cook until tender and let rest.... 30 minutes before food time do your "set the bark" thing.

I typically smoke/cook the night before and finish in the oven overnight - takes about another 8-10 hours in the oven cooking pretty low - 215*-225* At least I know it's ready for lunch if needed... or whenever. Briskets hold very well.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 pm

if I do cook a brisket or butt i always pull it at the stall (160°) and move it to the roaster in the oven, or my electric roaster to finish at 275°
I still use brown paper grocery bags to put them in when i move them to the oven or roaster
the brown paper bags breath even better than butcher's paper
Attachments
009_OvenRoaster.jpg
NB_PorkButt_005.jpg
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:00 pm

It has been a while but "we" just can do justice to that large of a piece of meat in our present situation. HOWEVER, F.W.I.W. Chasdev, I have finished them in a Reynolds Oven Bag following the instructions and was very satisfied with the results. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:22 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
Chasdev wrote:One clue you may have missed is that I'm going to burn oak not charcoal.

I didn't miss that part that is why I asked. I just thought you were cooking on the Kamado now I was not aware you had two offsets.

I find that brisket on the Kamado is inferior (to my tastes anyway) to brisket smoked on burning oak..it's not bad or inedible but this summer as I ran through the brisket I cooked last spring (on the now sold-off stickburner) to brisket I cooked on the Kamado, the stickburner's resulting flavor is way better.
The Kamado is fantastic for porkbutt and raw beef sausages plus allows me to cook in the "Africa hot" Austin summer without frying myself outdoors.
Next up is turkey on a "rocket" in the pellet spitter, and sometime this fall/winter I'm shooting for a 24 hour cook at the lowest temp I can run in the spitter to see if I can reach maximum meat falling off the bone status on pork butt.
Looking forward to tending oak fire for a few hours now that it's cool outside, who knows, if I slurp enough liquid joy, I may just smoke till done and forget the whole oven thing..

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”