new smoker round 2

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

new smoker round 2

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:40 pm

I really want to use my new smoker this weekend but I have no idea what to cook. I did ribs and chicken last weekend. briskets are expensive, and I wont have enough people over to do a butt. Is there something I am missing? Chicken seems to be my go to answer especially after realizing how I messed up the bird last weekend. I forgot to brine it. I might just have to do a butt and bring the leftovers to work Monday.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: new smoker round 2

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Dang, JuiceTone, :scratch: if you only had a way to snap a pic then I'd suggest that you get sumptin dat swims and send it to Counselor for your Labor Day Throw Down Entry - - - - oh well - - - how about some K-Bobs with Meat/Shrimp, Squash, Zucinni, Sweet Pepper, Own-yawn and Etc - - - season, grill and baste with Italian Dressing until done. :dont: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Chuck roast? Or maybe do a butt and freeze the leftovers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Pork butt is easy and perfect for left overs. Half was used for day of and day after left overs and the rest was put in a freezer bag for down the road cravings :cheers:

Try beef short ribs. One slab should be about 20 bucks and enough to feed 2-4 people depending on how hungry you are lol
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:30 pm

You can't go wrong with beef bonz. :laughing7: :laughing7:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:45 pm

if I could find beef bones I would. you just cant find any around here.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Small pork butt, the cooked meat freezes just fine...
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Get about 20 lbs. of leg quarters and cook them up. de-bone and freeze the extras for enchiladas, pizza's, spaghetti.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
texas 1836 USER_AVATAR
Texas 1836
Wrangler

Postby Texas 1836 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 pm

JustinCouch wrote:I really want to use my new smoker this weekend but I have no idea what to cook. I did ribs and chicken last weekend. briskets are expensive, and I wont have enough people over to do a butt. Is there something I am missing? Chicken seems to be my go to answer especially after realizing how I messed up the bird last weekend. I forgot to brine it. I might just have to do a butt and bring the leftovers to work Monday.

Hey Justin. Just a suggestion, but you might think about investing in a food saver. I cook for just my wife and I, but when I want to do a brisket or a butt, I do it and then break down portions to vacuum seal and freeze. Then if you want a small amount for a tailgate or just a lunch, you can just put it in a pot of water (still in the frozen bag), bring it to a boil, and then simmer it about 30 minutes. When you cut it open, it will look and taste like it just came off the pit. Try it! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:24 am

Texas 1836 wrote:
JustinCouch wrote:I really want to use my new smoker this weekend but I have no idea what to cook. I did ribs and chicken last weekend. briskets are expensive, and I wont have enough people over to do a butt. Is there something I am missing? Chicken seems to be my go to answer especially after realizing how I messed up the bird last weekend. I forgot to brine it. I might just have to do a butt and bring the leftovers to work Monday.

Hey Justin. Just a suggestion, but you might think about investing in a food saver. I cook for just my wife and I, but when I want to do a brisket or a butt, I do it and then break down portions to vacuum seal and freeze. Then if you want a small amount for a tailgate or just a lunch, you can just put it in a pot of water (still in the frozen bag), bring it to a boil, and then simmer it about 30 minutes. When you cut it open, it will look and taste like it just came off the pit. Try it! Good luck!

This is what we do also. Love it.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 am

Pork butt!
(Insert witty signature here)
dogtag34 USER_AVATAR
DogTag34
Wrangler

Postby DogTag34 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 am

Texas 1836 wrote:

We do this also.....just 2 of us.... works great. I also put in water.
Stumps Junior Gravity Feed Smoker - 'Ole Blue'
Blaze Kamado
Alfa Ciao wood fired pizza oven
Blackstone builtin griddle
Coyote Pellet grill
dogtag34 USER_AVATAR
DogTag34
Wrangler

Postby DogTag34 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am

Some smaller fare to consider that I've done this year. Pork loin, turkey breast, salmon.....don't limit your cooker to ribs and brisket and chicken:) chicken breasts stuffed with cheese and hatch peppers wrapped in bacon?
Stumps Junior Gravity Feed Smoker - 'Ole Blue'
Blaze Kamado
Alfa Ciao wood fired pizza oven
Blackstone builtin griddle
Coyote Pellet grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 am

Great advice on the foodsaver. I consider it a must have bbq accessory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Its my dads bday this weekend so I want to make it a good one.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”