Beef Chuck and St. Louis Spare Ribs

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Beef Chuck and St. Louis Spare Ribs

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:07 am

If this rain will clear I got some meat that needs a little smoke.

Both of these will be experiments for me. I bought a 5lb chuck roast that had some nice marbling. Wanted to treat it like a brisket and see if I could get some slices. Seems like people that do cook this cut tend to pull it but we will see. Anyone have any experience or tips with Chuck roast? It's separated into two pieces.

Second I have some St Louis Spares that come pre-seasoned from Costco. I typically like to make my own rubs so this will be new territory for me. Plan is to roughly use the 321 method (it's my first time cooking ribs of any type!). I'm considering given them a rinse and then sprinkling my own rubs on them but I'm concerned about over salting them. Thoughts?

Also I made some ghost pepper BBQ sauce that's really tasty. Should help liven the ribs up, should Costco's seasoning run on the bland side.

Oak B&B with oak chunks is the plan.

Any tips with pre-seasoned or chuck, let me have it. Otherwise, pics throughout the day.
UDS - Not so ugly, but I may be biased ;)
Yoder YS640
88rxna
Rustler

Re: Beef Chuck and St. Louis Spare Ribs

Postby 88rxna » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:14 am

Pretty popular to make burnt ends with it if you like those

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:10 am

88rxna wrote:Pretty popular to make burnt ends with it if you like those

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's not a bad idea either. Maybe I do one of each since they're separated already.
Yoder YS640
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:21 am

SmokeNHops wrote:If this rain will clear I got some meat that needs a little smoke.

Both of these will be experiments for me. I bought a 5lb chuck roast that had some nice marbling. Wanted to treat it like a brisket and see if I could get some slices. Seems like people that do cook this cut tend to pull it but we will see. Anyone have any experience or tips with Chuck roast? It's separated into two pieces.

Second I have some St Louis Spares that come pre-seasoned from Costco. I typically like to make my own rubs so this will be new territory for me. Plan is to roughly use the 321 method (it's my first time cooking ribs of any type!). I'm considering given them a rinse and then sprinkling my own rubs on them but I'm concerned about over salting them. Thoughts?

Also I made some ghost pepper BBQ sauce that's really tasty. Should help liven the ribs up, should Costco's seasoning run on the bland side.

Oak B&B with oak chunks is the plan.

Any tips with pre-seasoned or chuck, let me have it. Otherwise, pics throughout the day.

If this is your first rib rodeo, I'd leave the Costco seasoning be. There will be plenty of pig-speriments to come!
Moink!
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:37 am

I smelled the seasoning on the CostCo ones. ended up giving it a light rinse and reapplying some of my own rub on it (couldn't resist haha).

Followed the 321 method for the ribs. On the last hour, I brushed them with a 50:50 of my Ghost Pepper BBQ & Raspberry Preserves simmered together.

IMG_20170624_160759.jpg

IMG_20170624_170841.jpg

For the chuck roast, I smoked it to 180 internal, wrapped them, and then threw them back on until probe tender. I'm the only one in my household that eats beef to it's not always the best option to buy a full packer and cook it for myself. This seems to be a great alternative on occasion. They come in a 3-6lb size and have a few different muscles in them that give you a mix of lean/marbly. This stood up to the other briskets I've done for sure.

IMG_20170624_170439.jpg
Yoder YS640
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

All I see is "BeautyQue" :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 am

Yup! :cheers:

Which reminds me to look for some chuck.
Moink!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Both look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Good look'in grub right there. :cheers: :cheers:
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Your cook looks great! How were the Costco ribs? Did they seem to be overly salty when finished? You have inspired me to put a roast on the smoker. :chef:
geedawg USER_AVATAR
GeeDawg
Pilgrim

Postby GeeDawg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Looks fantastic. Think I'll be smoking some chuck soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 am

TexMike --

I ended up giving the CostCo ribs a light rinsing to get some of the marinade off. I then reapplied my beef rub which is 40:60 Salt:Pepper, plus a couple other things like garlic, onion, and paprika. Even with their marinade and my second coating of rub they weren't salty to me.

___

Thanks for the comments guys. I will definitely keep the chuck roast in mind moving forward if I can't find a small brisket or I'm cooking just for me. Definitely more cost effective and a brisket-like meal on a 6 hour cook is a big plus, too 8) .
Yoder YS640
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am

SmokeNHops wrote: I will definitely keep the chuck roast in mind moving forward if I can't find a small brisket or I'm cooking just for me. Definitely more cost effective and a brisket-like meal on a 6 hour cook is a big plus, too 8) .

Sounds like my world - - - I really shy away from Briskets because of those two reasons
1. limited participant eaters
2. shorter cooking time is mandatory with my current situation

I'll be using some of that info in the near future so thanks - - :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”