Parchment Paper?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Pilgrim

Parchment Paper?

Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 am

First time poster. I stumbled upon this board after a Google search looking for pink butcher paper. On that subject, I'm curious, has anyone tried using parchment paper in the smoker as a substitute when butcher paper is not available? My apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed before.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Parchment Paper?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:34 am

Hey Welcome and thanks for the Question - - - I don't use anything but foil with my limited cooks but I do think I've heard Parchment vs Butcher Paper discussed here ?IF NOT? then it's about time someone did and I"m sure the "Pros" will be here shortly to discuss this with you.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am

We use parchment paper ALL the time...but not for barbecue! In oven baking, tot-making, pizza heating, and so on. Anywhere you want easy release and quicker cleanup.

While we have never used it as a substitute for butcher paper, I don't think it would work. Too thin and fragile. It can semi-burn on you, too.

I wonder if anyone here has used parchment in Q?
Moink!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am

Butcher paper breathes The parchment paper I believe is siliconized for non stick. It may be about like foil.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm

i'll get poo-pooed as usual...
but i use clean brown paper grocery bags instead of butcher paper
it "breathes" well Image

& howdy Image
Last edited by CaptJack on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
BrokenGlassRepublicn
Pilgrim

Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:We use parchment paper ALL the time...but not for barbecue! In oven baking, tot-making, pizza heating, and so on. Anywhere you want easy release and quicker cleanup.

While we have never used it as a substitute for butcher paper, I don't think it would work. Too thin and fragile. It can semi-burn on you, too.

I actually used parchment paper around a brisket that I made for a Super Bowl party - sadly, it was for a party my son was attending so I never got a chance to taste the end result. I will say the paper held up fine, but my smoker stayed at or below 250° for the entire time. I had to pull the brisket early because of time, before it got to my target of 202°.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:11 pm

BrokenGlassRepublicn wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:We use parchment paper ALL the time...but not for barbecue! In oven baking, tot-making, pizza heating, and so on. Anywhere you want easy release and quicker cleanup.

I actually used parchment paper around a brisket that I made for a Super Bowl party - sadly, it was for a party my son was attending so I never got a chance to taste the end result. I will say the paper held up fine, but my smoker stayed at or below 250° for the entire time. I had to pull the brisket early because of time, before it got to my target of 202°.

Eep. Did you get any taste reports? And ditto OUP: welcome aboard.
Moink!
BrokenGlassRepublicn
Pilgrim

Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
BrokenGlassRepublicn wrote:

Eep. Did you get any taste reports? And ditto OUP: welcome aboard.

Only report I had was that there wasn't even a scrap to bring back home to me.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:12 pm

BrokenGlassRepublicn wrote:[quote="Sailor Kenshin"][quote="BrokenGlassRepublicn"][quote="Sailor Kenshin"]We use parchment paper ALL the time...but not for barbecue! In oven baking, tot-making, pizza heating, and so on. Anywhere you want easy release and quicker cleanup.

I actually used parchment paper around a brisket that I made for a Super Bowl party - sadly, it was for a party my son was attending so I never got a chance to taste the end result. I will say the paper held up fine, but my smoker stayed at or below 250° for the entire time. I had to pull the brisket early because of time, before it got to my target of 202°.[/quote]

Eep. Did you get any taste reports? And ditto OUP: welcome aboard.[/quote]
Only report I had was that there wasn't even a scrap to bring back home to me.[/quote]
Must've been horrible…LOL!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Postby TrueTexan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I've used parchment paper several times. I did not notice a difference in it from butcher paper.
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:58 am

I've used parchment paper. It works fine but I prefer un-waxed pink butcher paper. I bought a big roll from Amazon. I couldn't find it at any B&M. Come to think of it, I should have just went over to Michael's and bought a roll of craft paper...basically the same thing with no wax coating.
~Aaron

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”