Pulled pork

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Pulled pork

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:46 am

All of the above is great advice. Just to make me feel important, though :wink: :

1) What cut of pork?
Generally I do picnic's. I've never done a butt or a full shoulder (at least, not that was called such). The picnics I've done have been generally 10 lbs, which fed 6 folks pretty well.

2) What temp?
Picnics and butts are pretty forgiving. I've done 230* to 330* and had good results at both ends. Obviously, cooler temps mean more cook time. Plan on 1 hr/lb to 1.5 hrs/lb (or more), based on my experiences at both ends of that spectrum. Just remember, cook to temp, not time. I take my picnics to 195*-200*, then try to let them rest in a cooler for an hour or so. They pull easy at that temp, and the longer rest seems to make the meat mo' better.

3) Rub?
Hog Waller is pretty good. :wink: I rub the meat with a light coat of cheap yellow mustard, then apply the rub and cook.

4) Sauce?
I always serve sauce on the side. If people want sauce, great. if they just want the meat, no worries. When I put the leftovers in the fridge, then I add a splash of sauce, just to keep it from drying out later.

For sauce, we like vinegar-based sauces, just 'cause the vinegar seems to round out the richness of the pork. We recently made DaHorns SC Mustard Sauce, which was a hit, but you definitely taste the mustard.

Another sauce I make is a cider vinegar sauce.

4 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
2-3 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
2-3 tbsp hot sauce
salt & pepper to taste (I start at 2 tbsp each)

Mix all ingredients in a pan, whisk to disolve the sugar and salt, bring to a boil, and simmer for 5-10 minutes. (Your house *will* smell like vinegar, so make sure you have an exhaust fan running.) Add vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, or hot sauce to taste. This is a thin sauce, but we like it.

Hope this helped. Good luck, Bro.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:23 am

Hey folks, how about putting those great sauce recipes in the sauce recipe section. :D :D That way they will be easier for everyone to find later on and they won't get sorta lost in a thread. :D :D 8)
Jim
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:01 am

Thanks for the info everyone! I have gotten some additional information and made some decisions.

First - The HogWaller has been ordered. I still don't mind other thoughts, but this will be the first rub that I try.

Second - I am going to try deeply scoring the meat and doing the "squeeze to pull" method. Unless someone knows of a reason why I shouldn't?

Third - This will be for 11 people (4 of them children) and I don't mind a few pounds of leftovers. Advice on amount of meat? I was thinking a 10 pounder would be okay, but I'm not so sure anymore.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:21 am

Kalrog wrote:Thanks for the info everyone! I have gotten some additional information and made some decisions.

First - The HogWaller has been ordered. I still don't mind other thoughts, but this will be the first rub that I try.

Second - I am going to try deeply scoring the meat and doing the "squeeze to pull" method. Unless someone knows of a reason why I shouldn't?

Third - This will be for 11 people (4 of them children) and I don't mind a few pounds of leftovers. Advice on amount of meat? I was thinking a 10 pounder would be okay, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Well, that's a new one on me. Not trying to poopoo the idea, just don't know anything about the method. Is it to get more bark? Don't think it will do much for flavor or texture cause when the meat gets to 200* internal, it will be about as tender and lean as it can be.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:49 am

DATsBBQ wrote:Well, that's a new one on me. Not trying to poopoo the idea, just don't know anything about the method. Is it to get more bark? Don't think it will do much for flavor or texture cause when the meat gets to 200* internal, it will be about as tender and lean as it can be.

That was a suggestion I saw at a different forum (WSM forum). Supposedly it lets the rub get way down in there where it otherwise wouldn't add as much flavor and even shortens the cooking time some (more surface area). The short version is that you cross score the meat to about an inch from the bone (so it stays together) and then do your rub normally. Smoke normally, but watch the temps of course. Pull. Rest. After rest you twist and remove the bone. Then grab the shoulder and squeeze. Everything pops apart into small cubes and then you just pull those cubes.

I'll try to find that post if you are interested.

*edit*
Found the link
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tp ... 7940092152
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:55 pm

Kalrog wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:Well, that's a new one on me. Not trying to poopoo the idea, just don't know anything about the method. Is it to get more bark? Don't think it will do much for flavor or texture cause when the meat gets to 200* internal, it will be about as tender and lean as it can be.

That was a suggestion I saw at a different forum (WSM forum). Supposedly it lets the rub get way down in there where it otherwise wouldn't add as much flavor and even shortens the cooking time some (more surface area). The short version is that you cross score the meat to about an inch from the bone (so it stays together) and then do your rub normally. Smoke normally, but watch the temps of course. Pull. Rest. After rest you twist and remove the bone. Then grab the shoulder and squeeze. Everything pops apart into small cubes and then you just pull those cubes.

I'll try to find that post if you are interested.

*edit*
Found the link

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tp ... 7940092152

you can always lightly sprinkle some of your rub on the pork after it's been pulled or add a light coat of bbq sauce for flavor. I've never heard of scoring the meat for flavor. Cooking faster, probably. :wink:
spice USER_AVATAR
Spice
Pilgrim

Postby Spice » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:56 pm

8# Boston Butt, trim off the fat cap, salt and pepper to taste, put on Spicewine Gourmet Blend, put on Hen & Hog Dust, inject with a combination of Apple juice, white pepper, Gourmet Blend. 5 salt mixture and hen & Hog Dust. Let set for as long as you can, 12 hours max. cover with Turbinado Sugar and cook at 210-230 for 4 hours. Wrap and take to 190. Unwrap and let the bark set up.

3-- First Place Finishes and 1 Third Place Finish in KCBS competition last year.

Do what works for you.

Spice
Spicewine Ironworks
Quality Smokers, Sauces & Spices
www.spicewineironworks.com
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:44 am

Have you thought of injecting the butt? I will post the injection recipe for you.

A couple tips on injecting a butt....
1. Inject it while in the cryovac packaging.
2. Do it a couple hours before going into the heat.

Chris Lilly's Pork Injection

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Inject pork shoulder/butt evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:24 am

I haven't had good luck with injections. Although those were turkey. I don't think I will mess with that on the first one... maybe later though.
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 pm

Well, it looks like I'll be starting the 10lb butt in about 3 hours. Hopefully ready for lunch tomorrow. I must be crazy.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:43 pm

Kalrog wrote:Well, it looks like I'll be starting the 10lb butt in about 3 hours. Hopefully ready for lunch tomorrow. I must be crazy.

good luck Kalrog. Keep us posted on the details!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Yeah, keep us posted! Take pics if you can!

James.
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:48 am

So no pics, but here are the details so far.

I Rubbed the butt with Hog Waller (lightly) at about 7:30 while I started getting everything else ready to go. Started the WSM at about 8:30 and I am using a clay pot instead of water for the first time (so I didn't have to add any at 3am). Put the butt on it at about 9. Watched the temp pretty closely while the Horns were playing (checking it every 30 minutes) and it was hovering right about 250 at the lid - or 235 at the top grate which is where the meat is. Nothing to do but let it go. Set watch alarm for 2:15. I went to sleep.

Woke up at 2:15 and checked the temp. It was running a bit hot at 300 so I closed down the vents and added some ice to the water bowl to absorb a bit of the heat. Set alarm for 5:15 and went to sleep.

Woke up at 5:15 with the temp right at 250 again. Perfect. Crawled back in bed for another hour and slept some. Finally got up and checked with the lid still at 250, but now I wanted to check the meat temp so I lifted the lid and inserted the probe. Attached to the base unit and it read 167* but came up to 168 a minute later. Smoker temp dropped to about 200* when I inserted the probe (it was open for a minute or two). So I opened the vents a bit and it climbed back to 250 over the next 30 minutes and there it sits still. It has been sitting at 168 for the past 90 minutes. I guess this is that plateau that everyone always talks about...

I'm still good on time though. We are planning on having this for lunch today so I really want it to hit 190+ (ideally 200) at about 10:30 or 11:00 so that I can remove it and throw it in a cooler to rest for 60+ minutes before I pull it for sandwiches.

Advice/question: When I checked it last with the lid off, there didn't seem to be much bark at all. I was expecting more. Is this a bad thing or did I mess up somewhere? The proof is in the taste of course.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:41 am

Hard to say on the bark. You still cooking on it? Should still be building. Betcha wind up ok.

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:06 am

It appears from your narrative that things are coming along swimmingly. Bet it comes out great. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”