Brisket preview!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Brisket preview!

Postby Txdragon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:01 am

woodenvisions wrote:Hey TxDragon,

First off, that looks real good !

Have you thought about ( larding ) a brisket?
I've been watching and listening for a few months and I'm really considering trying this technique.

What are your thoughts?

I have used caul fat, (the fatty net-looking membrane that encloses the innards) but this was on really lean stuff like venison and wild hog. Just wrap your cut with this and it renders down and such. I've never larded anything though; at least not by way of injecting. I'd be concerned about jabbing unnecessary holes through the meat that could lead to worse results than what would have been without doing anything. Lol. If I'm prepared for something to turn out dry, I will usually compensate with some sauce or a good au jus for the finished product.

Thanks all for the kind words! Overall it turned out well. The flavor was awesome. I mopped it during the cook with a homemade concoction I've used on other items. This added a great flavor to the bark the wife and kids really dig. I took some ribs to my boss that was done this way and he's always asking when I'm cooking again. Lol!
(Insert witty signature here)
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:13 am

I pulled some brisket out of the freezer a few days ago and the wife and I were chowing down, she complained about all the fat in it, I told her it was prime grade and she said she liked the ones with less fat better!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:41 am

Chasdev wrote:I pulled some brisket out of the freezer a few days ago and the wife and I were chowing down, she complained about all the fat in it, I told her it was prime grade and she said she liked the ones with less fat better!

Choice is, in my opinion at least, the "sweet spot". Prime briskets are fantastic but you've gotta grab a whopper. The smaller the prime, the higher fat to meat ratio. A good size for a prime would be 18 lbs and above or it's going to be fatty grub. I love a good, fatty brisket and even for me, a 13 lb prime is a bit overboard on fat.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:01 am

Oh yea, the more fat the better. That's how I like my Briskets and what I usually turn in at comps.

Ric G.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:35 am

About the only time my primes are overly fatty is when we cook comps and the speed we cook them at does not allow the fat to render all the way between the point and flat but when I separate the two I just shave the excess off. I cook mainly 16 to 18 pound primes at comps.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:33 pm

k.a.m. wrote:About the only time my primes are overly fatty is when we cook comps and the speed we cook them at does not allow the fat to render all the way between the point and flat but when I separate the two I just shave the excess off. I cook mainly 16 to 18 pound primes at comps.

That's a good size for a prime though too. Of course I've had some in the 18-20lb range I've trimmed up and weighed out 5+ lbs of fat, and it still had some room for improvement. Lol

2 guys, that looks awesome! I am a fan of excess fat on 2 cuts of beef; ribeye and brisket. Even the wife enjoys some good ol' fatty brisket slices! (Kinda why I married this one!!) Even with that kinda love for brisket, I still have a line drawn where too much is too much. It's seemingly the demon with brisket; it's either too fatty or too lean.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:04 pm

I just bought 6#s of caul fat out at J&J Packing in Brookshire
A friend gave me a beautiful Axis roast,
without a spot of fat on it
and i didn't want it to dry out
Attachments
CaulFat.jpg
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:36 pm

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

HEY CAPT'N - - - good to see you again, Pardnah.

I've never heard of that kind of Fat but, if you're using it then I have no doubt it's gonna be good. Please keep us in the loop until you finish, OK :tup: :salut: :flag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”