Ribs this Weekend for me, what about you?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:08 pm

Did you tickle those ribs? :lol:

The wife & I went out of town to Arthur IL. to judge a BBQ contest. The turn out was low this year. Last year they had 50 teams and this year only 34. Big drop.

Our table had some great pork. I would venture to say that one of the top 3 or #1 came from our table. The first 3 entries that we judged were great. It was hard to explain the appearence of the 3. They looked so good you just wanted to jump in the box and start eating! They tasted as good as they looked.

We had 2 bummer briskets or maybe I should say rubber bands. The one piece of brisket (after the scores were turned in) I grabbed one end and the guy next to me grabbed the other end. We had a tug of war. That piece of brisket would not pull apart! OUCH!

Chicken & ribs were so average I'd classify them as restaurant food. Darn it!

That was my barbecue weekend! Next week will be my last contest for the year. Chicken ribs, pork, brisket, desert and a potluck dish. We haven't decide on the potluck dish yet. There have been some requests for Pat's vegan chili. No meat, all sauce & beans.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:33 pm

Roma came through with flying colors. She's not as fuel efficient as Einstein, but then again it's earthenware VS high tech ceramics. Serve up the meal with pasta salad and baked beans.

The meat came off the bone with just the slightest pull. I used the rub the Mrs likes, it was ok. Overall, I liked it. Got 2 racks in foodsaver bags in the freezer. Hey, it just me and the Mrs. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:59 am

Dats, you did good, fine food, good fun, what more could one ask. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 am

ChileFarmer wrote:Dats, you did good, fine food, good fun, what more could one ask. CF

A Bronco's win? Wait, they had a bye yesterday. At least it wasn't a loss :lol:

BFD wrote:That was my barbecue weekend! Next week will be my last contest for the year. Chicken ribs, pork, brisket, desert and a potluck dish. We haven't decide on the potluck dish yet. There have been some requests for Pat's vegan chili. No meat, all sauce & beans.

It would be great to end the season on positive note...wishing you good luck.

http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/CookLogs/RibsLB101507.html
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:30 am

Now that looks like a really fine meal. :D :D 8)
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Dats, I noticed you mentioned they were on for 5 3/4 hours? Isn't that a long time for back ribs? I guess I have not had them take longer than 4 to 4:15 or so.

They look mighty good though.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:13 am

bowhnter wrote:Hey Dats, I noticed you mentioned they were on for 5 3/4 hours? Isn't that a long time for back ribs? I guess I have not had them take longer than 4 to 4:15 or so.

They look mighty good though.

Loin-Backs (these averaged a more than 2.5# each) usually take me about 5 1/2 hours. I stay away from Baby-backs as there isn't enough meat on them to fuss with.

The thermometer on Roma is a modification. The Imperial didn't come with thermometers. It's mounted pretty close to where the top of meat usually ends up.

This cook Roma settled in closer to 235* than where I like to run (245*). I've learned that when you find the "zone" on these things its easier to go with the flow than fight it. :lol:

I also use a rib rack. I can do one slab laying down. When I use that method I've found that cook times are a lot faster (more surface area directly above the fire?). In any case, these weren't burnt up, not quite a juicy as I'd like but better than most of the stuff you can buy commercially around here.

Another thing to consider is the elevation. Water boils at 201*. This has the effect of longer cooking times. If a box of pasta says boil 9-10 minutes, it's a safe bet that in my kitchen it will take at least 17 minutes an some times up to 25 minutes.
Deputy Dave

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:20 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Loin-Backs (these averaged a more than 2.5# each) usually take me about 5 1/2 hours. I stay away from Baby-backs as there isn't enough meat on them to fuss with.

Another thing to consider is the elevation. Water boils at 201*. This has the effect of longer cooking times. If a box of pasta says boil 9-10 minutes, it's a safe bet that in my kitchen it will take at least 17 minutes an some times up to 25 minutes.

I did not consider the elevation, but now I have questions :?

I thought Loin backs and baby backs are the same with spares being the ribs with more meat?

I can uderstand the water boiling difference, but 235* or 245* is still the same temp here as it is there isn't it?

I am not doubting you, ...I just need to be educated. :?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:32 pm

bowhnter wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:Loin-Backs (these averaged a more than 2.5# each) usually take me about 5 1/2 hours. I stay away from Baby-backs as there isn't enough meat on them to fuss with.

I did not consider the elevation, but now I have questions :?

I thought Loin backs and baby backs are the same with spares being the ribs with more meat?

I can uderstand the water boiling difference, but 235* or 245* is still the same temp here as it is there isn't it?

I am not doubting you, ...I just need to be educated. :?

Someone here will correct me, but Baby Backs are Loin Backs that are 1.5# and down. Once you cut a Full Spare down to a St. Louis, (getting rid of the rib-tips and skirt), I bet there is more meat on a loin back that started out at 2.5# to 3#.

I lived out here for decades now. A year ago or so when I lived in the woods on top of a mountain, water boiled at 188*. Cooking times were much longer.

Look at a box of almost anything that has high altitude directions. Most often they will recommend more liquid and/or cooking times. Note, those directions are for above 3,500'. I'm currently at 5,770' and have lived in places as high at 8,500'. I can't give you the scientific explanation for the phenomenon but know that it exists.
Deputy Dave

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:55 pm

I will have to start paying attention to the weights. I think I seen some Loin Backs once, but in my mind just called them Baby backs. Now I can't remember what my total weight for the 3 slabs I just bought from Sam's last week were.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”