The Big High School Tailgate's tomorrow

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

The Big High School Tailgate's tomorrow

Postby bonehunts » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:18 am

Tomorrow night I get to serve brisket and sausage to 84 adults and 61 kids (mostly young) as a fundraiser for a neighborhood service organization. When I cooked all the Memphis boys their BBQ last week, I smoked several friends/neighbors some briskets, sausage and chicken and they all begged me to cook for tomorrow.

I promise I'll try and do a better job today of taking pics of my progress to show everyone.

I know I bought too much meat, but can you really ever have too much meat???? I was going to plan on 4oz of brisket per adult and 2oz of sausage. The ladies are making beans, cole slaw, potato salad, bread, etc. so I felt this number to be pretty good. Since all of the kids are small (6 and under), I was thinking of halfing them to come up with a number.
Check my math please:
84 adults
30 kids (61/2)
114 people

I need 4oz x 114 people = 456/16oz = 29 lbs of finished briskets. Assuming 50% yield, that's 58 lbs of raw brisket. I was thinking of going up to about 70 lbs just to make sure there's extra.

As for sausage, if I use that same math I need 15 pounds. Can I assume a 100% yield standard sausage from the grocer?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:17 am

I can't speak with any authority on the sausage but I would figure 15% loss of fat and moisture. Might be a figuring a little heavy on loss there but better to error to that side.
tarde venientibus ossa....
soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:08 pm

Is it link or patties?

I wouldn't worry either way either a link is a link or a pattie is a pattie
bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Postby bonehunts » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:03 pm

They're links. I just didn't think I'd lose too much with sausage...
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:09 pm

You will loose some weight with sausage but, as SoEzzy said a link is a link. :D Just figure how many links you need, then find out how many links in a pound, add in a few extra and buy what you need. :D :D
Jim

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”