New pit, awesome 'que!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: New pit, awesome 'que!

Postby Txdragon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Looks good from here! Great pit, fantastic cook!
(Insert witty signature here)
AgChef
Pilgrim

Postby AgChef » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:45 pm

Those beans are simple to make. I don't have exact measurements of everything as I go by taste but I'll list the ingredients here as a starting point for you.

Bush's original baked beans
Yellow mustard
Ketchup
Molasses
Light brown sugar
White onion
Pickled jalapenos
Salt & Pepper

Mix everything together and then top with bacon. Cook on the smoker for about 3-4 hours.
Wtxsmoker
Wrangler

Postby Wtxsmoker » Mon May 26, 2014 5:22 pm

I just sold my patio pit and plan to get the same pit. How long was you wait for the pit. Can you PM me please
ripper USER_AVATAR
Ripper
Pilgrim

Postby Ripper » Mon May 26, 2014 6:17 pm

10 month wait. Feb order with Dec delivery.
AgChef
Pilgrim

Postby AgChef » Mon May 26, 2014 6:28 pm

10 month wait.

Nowhere near that long. Took 7 weeks from the time I ordered to when I picked it up.
Longhornturfguy
Pilgrim

Postby Longhornturfguy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:55 am

Fine looking pit and meat as well! :cheers:
Wtxsmoker
Wrangler

Postby Wtxsmoker » Tue May 27, 2014 7:35 pm

I can handle a 7 week wait... What kind of temps does the vertical box maintain? How often did you have to add wood? What size splits will work in the fire box? Are there leaks around doors, fire box? Inquiring minds want to know, please!
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Tue May 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Nicely done!!!!! Looks amazing!
AgChef
Pilgrim

Postby AgChef » Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 am

There are zero leaks at any of the doors and firebox. All doors are flanged which gives the pit a nice tight seal that holds in heat very well. The firebox is 24x24 so it will take the big splits with a lot of room to spare. As far fuel efficiency, once you get your fire going well, it takes a split maybe every hour to maintain your temperature depending on how hot you are running. As to your question of what temps the vertical box maintains, that depends on how hot or cold you want it. The pit has tuning plates and I've just about got them adjusted to run the same temp across the entire pit so it really just depends on what you want it to run. They said it would run about 15-20 degrees cooler but so far I've been able to get it running the same temp as the main chamber. I haven't done a cook in the vertical yet but I will soon to see if the temperature is indeed the same as the main chamber.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer them. If you go with Lonestar you won't be disappointed...that's for sure. Fantastic pit with excellent craftsmanship that cooks like a dream!
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu May 29, 2014 11:04 am

AgChef wrote:...Fantastic pit with excellent craftsmanship that cooks like a dream!

These pits rust out after about the second rain, and collapse into dust. I'll save you the embarrassment and haul it off for you for 50 bucks. I have your back, man. :laughing7:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Wtxsmoker
Wrangler

Postby Wtxsmoker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I have difficult decision on my hands. I love my wood burner off set comp trailer with a 5 foot cook chamber. Iwas raised on wood cooks am I am hooked on wood. Charcoal (tome) is for grilling steak and vegetables maybe sausage I have a new house and no good place to keep the pit. I need a patio pit that can cook for a few friends something bigger that a BGE and something that gives a true smoked flavor. Leaning to the Lonestar pit like yours or an assassin gravity fed but afraid I won't get the taste I like and am use to.

Can believe the vertical can run at cooking temps over 200, that's cool. And thanks for the input.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:39 am

Impressive pit, awesome eats!

:cheers:
Moink!
paret USER_AVATAR
Paret
Pilgrim

Postby Paret » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am

AgChef wrote:There are zero leaks at any of the doors and firebox. All doors are flanged which gives the pit a nice tight seal that holds in heat very well. The firebox is 24x24 so it will take the big splits with a lot of room to spare. As far fuel efficiency, once you get your fire going well, it takes a split maybe every hour to maintain your temperature depending on how hot you are running. As to your question of what temps the vertical box maintains, that depends on how hot or cold you want it. The pit has tuning plates and I've just about got them adjusted to run the same temp across the entire pit so it really just depends on what you want it to run. They said it would run about 15-20 degrees cooler but so far I've been able to get it running the same temp as the main chamber. I haven't done a cook in the vertical yet but I will soon to see if the temperature is indeed the same as the main chamber.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer them. If you go with Lonestar you won't be disappointed...that's for sure. Fantastic pit with excellent craftsmanship that cooks like a dream!

Hi.
I'm looking for a stick burner myself and live in Texas too.

How is your pit now after a few months?
Anything you wish you would have added to your build?

Called Jambo today but nothing until November. Gator is a 10 month wait so still looking into Lone Star, JJ, Big Hat and then out of state.

Regards,

:cheers:

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

Large Green Egg and Charbroil gas. (Wanting a stick burner)
Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”