General Rubs- Sloppy's and Harley's

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

General Rubs- Sloppy's and Harley's

Postby jtilk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:58 pm

I've managed to accumulate quite the plethora or rubs in my "man pantry" the wife has given me... and I'd be willing to be I've tried between 50-75 different rubs over the past 2-3 yrs. But 2 rubs I've looked at trying recently are Harley's and Sloppy's but havent to date, of course if you read the descriptions place on any rub they make it sound like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Just wondering if any of you guys on here have given either or both of these a shot and what your take was??
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Re: General Rubs- Sloppy's and Harley's

Postby JMoney7269 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:22 pm

The 3 main rubs we use in comps and at home are Harley's, REO, and Lantana of Texas. Harley's is good shizzle. It's high in salt so to easy on it. Remember it's a seasoning to enhance the meat, not cover it up. I have pretty much perfected the Harley's rub recipe and will be glad to post it if you like
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:52 am

I went to the cookoff in Taylor and the forum guy I met up with there had Harleys and gave me several different flavors and it is some good stuff.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks guys ... just weighing some options.

J$- you didnt have to go and spill the proverbial comp beans. :lol:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
BoDean
Pilgrim

Postby BoDean » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:25 pm

J$ where are you getting the Harley's rub. Always looking for something to try. Thanx
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:37 pm

I am a firm believer in this. I can tell you everything I do, but doing exactly what I do is a different story. That and I only spill about 75% of the proverbial comp beans.
I get Harley's at my local heb. They always have a big end cap of it. It's no secret, it's a dayum good seasoning!
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
Mickelle
Pilgrim

Postby Mickelle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 am

JMoney7269 wrote:The 3 main rubs we use in comps and at home are Harley's, REO, and Lantana of Texas. Harley's is good shizzle. It's high in salt so to easy on it. Remember it's a seasoning to enhance the meat, not cover it up. I have pretty much perfected the Harley's rub recipe and will be glad to post it if you like
jtilk wrote:I've managed to accumulate quite the plethora or rubs in my "man pantry" the wife has given me... and I'd be willing to be I've tried between 50-75 different rubs over the past 2-3 yrs. But 2 rubs I've looked at trying recently are Harley's and Sloppy's but havent to date, of course if you read the descriptions place on any rub they make it sound like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Just wondering if any of you guys on here have given either or both of these a shot and what your take was??
Mickelle
Pilgrim

Postby Mickelle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 am

JMoney7269 wrote:The 3 main rubs we use in comps and at home are Harley's, REO, and Lantana of Texas. Harley's is good shizzle. It's high in salt so to easy on it. Remember it's a seasoning to enhance the meat, not cover it up. I have pretty much perfected the Harley's rub recipe and will be glad to post it if you like

I would love your Harley’s rub recipe.
My hubby is from Brenham and we now live in Oklahoma. The home of NO HEB’S! We usually buy the gallon of Harley’s but it doesn’t last long around here. My husband has me totally hooked on Harley’s

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”