Smoking a turkey

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

americana cookers USER_AVATAR
Americana Cookers
Rustler

Re: Smoking a turkey

Postby Americana Cookers » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Cooked 13 at one time last year to hand out to people who couldn't have a turkey dinner, injected them all with tony's creole butter injection and rubbed with a simple poltry rub and some oil, turned out fantastic. Going to try brinning this year.
~Thanks to our sponsors~
92.1FM Radio New Braunfels
36D Managment
Bates Boots

wild_bill83 USER_AVATAR
Wild_Bill83
Wrangler

Postby Wild_Bill83 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:27 pm

looks great
I really want to thank every one for taking time out to answer my questions. I grew up with out a dad and had no one to teach me this stuff. You are a great help!
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Americana Cookers wrote:Cooked 13 at one time last year to hand out to people who couldn't have a turkey dinner, injected them all with tony's creole butter injection and rubbed with a simple poltry rub and some oil, turned out fantastic. Going to try brinning this year.

well turkeys look awesome BUT main reason i am commenting is on the deed of cookin for prople who cannot provide for their families
great idea
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
americana cookers USER_AVATAR
Americana Cookers
Rustler

Postby Americana Cookers » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Thank you! My brother in law contacted me about it, we had 3 pits out there and cook a total of 40 birds. Looking forward it again this year!
~Thanks to our sponsors~
92.1FM Radio New Braunfels
36D Managment
Bates Boots

bracketracer
Pilgrim

Postby bracketracer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:59 pm

TXLNGHRN wrote:If you have a brisket rub you like, try mixing it with some poultry seasoning.
x2 on the brine. It helps a lot. There's tons of brine recipe's on here too.

Keep an eye on your bird when you smoke it. If you're skin starts to get too dark you can put some loose foil over it.

In place of the loose foil I use a butter soaked cheese cloth. I'll have to try the brisket rub/poultry seasoning mix. That sounds good. I used olive oil, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and rosemary last year on the outside and butter, poultry seasoning, and rosemary under the skin. I also put half a cut up apple, half a cut up onion, and a sprig of rosemary and thyme inside. I thought it came out great. I'll probably do another just like it this year and a smaller one with a spicy rub alongside.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am

Always wanted to try this myself with a whole bird. Great info, thanks.
Moink!
griffin USER_AVATAR
Griffin
Cowboy

Postby Griffin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:49 pm

At little late to respond, but i like to do mine at 350. Not sure why people smoke turkey or chicken at lower temps like 250. Its not like brisket or butts that need time to break down. 350 and its more like smoke roasting it. I will say that I like cherry wood with my turkey. Great flavor and doesn't overpower the turkey.
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Griffin wrote:At little late to respond, but i like to do mine at 350. Not sure why people smoke turkey or chicken at lower temps like 250. Its not like brisket or butts that need time to break down. 350 and its more like smoke roasting it. I will say that I like cherry wood with my turkey. Great flavor and doesn't overpower the turkey.

Gonna have to try the cherry I have done apple or pecan but will try cherry and my first was at 240 - 250 and came out with a SERIOUS case of rubber skin syndrome
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
_iandy_ USER_AVATAR
_iAndy_
Rustler

Postby _iAndy_ » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Definitely listen to the ones saying a brine is a must. personally i cant stand turkey. the white meat is usually dry and the whole thing is tasteless. that was until my wife, who notoriously cannot cook to save her life tried a brine on a turkey last thanksgiving, and almost made me do a backflip. the spices and ingredients she used had that holiday taste, while still allowing for the smoking process to give it the bbq taste as well. plus its sort of hot to see your wife smoking some bbq. haha.

here's the brine she used:
about a gallon of water
1 cup KOSHER salt (never use the iodized table garbage salt for a brine)
1 cup white sugar
about 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
about 2 tablespoons jamacian allspice berries
2 bay leaves
about 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
about 1 tablespoon candied ginger
1 stick cinnamon
1 whole clove of garlic cut in half, both halves added

i know it looks like a lot but good brines have some good flavor.

just combine everything, cover the pot and cook on medium low for about 45 minutes.

Then just make sure to strain everything into the bucket with the turkey in it, (after it cools) add ice, and let it sit for about a day or so. day of cooking make sure to rinse well, and remember the meat will be pink after cooking, because of the sugar.

even if you dont use this one make sure to let us know how it goes! :texas:
Grill - Brinkmann Medallion
Smoker - Brinkmann Vertical
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Davidtxs wrote:
Griffin wrote:At little late to respond, but i like to do mine at 350. Not sure why people smoke turkey or chicken at lower temps like 250. Its not like brisket or butts that need time to break down. 350 and its more like smoke roasting it. I will say that I like cherry wood with my turkey. Great flavor and doesn't overpower the turkey.

Gonna have to try the cherry I have done apple or pecan but will try cherry and my first was at 240 - 250 and came out with a SERIOUS case of rubber skin syndrome

Eek. I don't like RSS either.
Moink!
jeffnsa
Pilgrim

Postby jeffnsa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 am

I have an electric smoker so no worries about varying temps but Inject with a butter/ honey /creol seasoning 12 hrs before. Rub with poultry seasoning of any kind and smoke at 300f untill almost done then crank up the heat to about 400 to crisp up the skin. Cherry wood is the best I have used for birds.I also stuff the cavity with a half onion, apple, orange, garlic, and fresh rosemary and a little chicken stock.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”