Advice on presmoking a brisket to serve a few days later

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Advice on presmoking a brisket to serve a few days later

Postby antaean7 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 pm

I wanted to ask for advice on how to keep and reheat a brisket a few days after you smoke it.
I want it for Labor day, but the problem is our area is expecting rain Thursday - Monday. To play it safe I need to cook it tomorrow Wednesday. Can I get advice on proper technics after smoking a brisket what would I do to keep it for four days then reheat it so it is tender on the fifth day. What is the best/proper way to do this? How does Bar-B-Q places keep their briskets moist around the clock? Thank you for your help.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Advice on presmoking a brisket to serve a few days later

Postby Gator » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm

You can smoke it to about 165 - 170, pull it and refridge it for a couple days or freeze it. Then pull it out and finish it off on the day you need it.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Thank you,.....how would it turn out if I cooked it completely tomorrow and warmed it up Monday? Would it be dry? If so how could I avoid it drying out? My main concern is the rain, I may not be able to finish cooking it Monday, if I cook it to 165-170 before hand.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Cook it like you normally do vacuum pack it if you can and put it in the freezer for 2 hrs then move to the frig. To reheat it place it in a pan bag and all with enough water to cover it in a 250° oven for an hour this will slowly reheat it. Don't slice it until your ready to serve it.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Yup, finish off in a 250 degree oven. I feel they turn out better when you stop at 170 (opinion) as you don't lose as much moisture.

I doubt anyone is gonna complain either way - ;)

I said this before on the forum, I know <famous name withheld> BBQ place in Lockhart TX that cooks every brisket this way. They smoke 'um to about 165 - 170, pull them off, and hold them for a day or so. Then they finish off as needed. They don't even wrap um, just set them in a walk in cooler in tubs.
Gator

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:23 pm

ok, so I get this right. I will remove it from the pit at 165-170, wrap it, freeze it for 2 hours then place in fridge until i need it (4 days) the day i want to eat it, take it out, place it in a pan, covered in water and place it in the oven at 250 for an hour? should I oven it at 250 until inter temp is 190'ish?
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:25 pm

that works, but I cook it on the put to 190-205 depending how I want it (sliced or choped)

let rest, into freezer for a few hrs into fridge.

then I reheat to 170.

Bludawg is right, don't cut it till you are ready to serve it. I do this all the time... so seldom do I have time to cook it the day we have our party (or the day someone else needs it for there party)
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 pm

well I smoked the brisket to 170 internal and pulled it, let it rest, wrapped it, then into the frig. I will try the oven at 250 until the internal temp of the brisket is 190 on monday. Will let you know how it turns out.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:35 pm

It make take a few hours to finish, IMO.

No worries just cook it early, take it up to 195-ish then let it rest under towels or in a cooler until ready to serve. I agree, don't cut until ready top eat.
Gator

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Make sure you do the probe test. stopping at 190 might be fine but it might probe a lot better at 195 to 200. Every one is different.

Double wrapping in foil and into the ice chest covered with towels as stated above is recommended. I like to put a 1/4 cup of beef broth in the foil and put in the ice chest fat cap up and only slice as served.

Good luck with it. Looking good so far.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:57 pm

I usually take the steps above when I finish on the pit. This is just the first time I am going to try and smoke it ahead of time, then finish it off in the oven. I was guessing that if I remove it from the fridge, let it sit at room temp for about 45 min, then into the oven, oven at 250 I figured it would take about 3-4 hours to get to 190-195. then wrap it and let it sit in a cooler for a few hours..wanting to get it right since I will be taking it to a party....we will see.
sparky4601
Pilgrim

Postby sparky4601 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:05 pm

i know this is a old post, but i thought i would chime in. I always precook my brisket. I smoke it until 190- 200 degrees. i usually feel for how soft it is . i let it stand for a hour pop it in the fridge overnight in a foil pan covered. The next day or day of party. i slice the brisket. ( i do it cold because you can get some great even cuts when its harder) then pop it in the oven at 175 until the meat reaches 175 usually about a hour then serve. I have done this at least 10 times and never once has it been dry or tough. Always falling apart juicy with plenty of compliments.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Thu May 17, 2018 10:03 am

I have a party I'm hosting over Labor Day weekend and am supposed to smoke 2 briskets, 6 racks of ribs and 4-5 chickens. I'm sweating it out right now how I'm going to pull this off because my smoker can only fit 2 brisktes. I have a small rack on the top of the smoker and I can probably squeeze a a few chickens on there but I don't want the chicken to drip on the briskets! I'm thinking I can smoke the briskets and have them ready 5 hrs before the party so I have the remainder of the time to knock out the ribs and chicken. Any input or suggestions would be greatly apprecitated!
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Tri3 - is smoke the chicken and ribs in advance. Serve the chickens pulled (easily reheated in vac seal bags) and the ribs can reheat in the oven wrapped tightly in foil. That way you just gotta have your briskets off and rested in time for the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Thu May 17, 2018 5:03 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Tri3 - is smoke the chicken and ribs in advance. Serve the chickens pulled (easily reheated in vac seal bags) and the ribs can reheat in the oven wrapped tightly in foil. That way you just gotta have your briskets off and rested in time for the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice! I may do what you suggest....or at least do the ribs before the briskets. I want that chicken skin to be nice and crispy and can smoke that chicken while the brisket rests for a couple of hours.
I don't eat to live....I live to eat

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”