Steak differences ?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: Steak differences ?

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:37 pm

cowboy45 wrote:
txngent wrote:Image

T-bone steaks cut closer to the shoulder are known as Porterhouse while those cut closer to the loin are just T-bones as this is a smaller cut and the fillet is much smaller if at all there.

The Porter cut will have both the loin and fillet (tenderloin) attached, the T-Bone has the fillet (tenderloin) removed.

Not to be a knowitall, but that is incorrect. The porterhous is the first cut on the loin after the sirloin, usually 2-3 cuts and is then considered a t-bone. The tenderloin tapers down along the way. Next is the ribeye that eventually goes to the chuck.
How do I know this you ask? I made my living as a butcher for about 10 yrs when I was younger. :D

Cowboy is correct, just came from the butchers and he said exactly the same thing, got me three perfect beautiful porterhouse steaks, prime that is. $75.00, can u say OUCH! hope it gets us a call.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
cowboy45
Pilgrim

Postby cowboy45 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 pm

OUCH!
I really hope you enjoy those steaks. I am jealous because I can't get that kind of meat where I live. :D

Happy grilling!
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Maybe you didn't learn to read as a butcher.

FROM THE LOIN

Directly behind the rib section is the loin, and the loin meat is the tenderest section of beef. Although not as well flavored or marbled as the rib, the loin accounts for the most expensive and tender of all the cuts of steak. Some common cuts of the loin are:

The tenderloin, the tenderest cut, the most expensive, and some say less flavorful.

T-Bone, A bit of everything, the T bone has a T shaped bone which sub divides a small section of tenderloin, with a larger section of strip steak.

Porterhouse, similar to the T-bone, but with a larger section of tenderloin.

Strip loin (NY steak), a rectangular strip of very flavorful steak, like a T-bone without the bone or tenderloin!

Not to be a know it all either, but that was what I was taught at SHSU. The porterhouse is up high with the full meat mass... as it tapers down the mass is less and is called the t-bone. Kind of what I said to begin with... but hey, if you have a golden glove of butchering... maybe they can hire up to rewrite the carcass.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm

You guys can afford steak :shock: Just dropped 8 frankies on the bimmer to replace the front trans axels. Looks like burger for a long time around here.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:14 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:You guys can afford steak :shock: Just dropped 8 frankies on the bimmer to replace the front trans axels. Looks like burger for a long time around here.

Bimmer? Well no wonder..... :dont: :laughing7:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:You guys can afford steak :shock: Just dropped 8 frankies on the bimmer to replace the front trans axels. Looks like burger for a long time around here.

AKA Bummer?

I never knew the difference between a T bone and a Porterhouse and it might just be a fine line......I'm still getting over the Salisbury disappointment...
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:12 pm

Papa Tom wrote:

AKA Bummer?

I never knew the difference between a T bone and a Porterhouse and it might just be a fine line......I'm still getting over the Salisbury disappointment...

I would have bought a vette but couldn't find one that was AWD. Who knew? :lol: :roll: We got snow to deal with here. :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Directions to Texas: S on Valley hwy, take a L on I30...... :)
tarde venientibus ossa....
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:16 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:

AKA Bummer?

I would have bought a vette but couldn't find one that was AWD. Who knew? :lol: :roll: We got snow to deal with here. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :blues:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 pm

I know the directions. South then east. Simple enough that even I can figure it out. :lol: Steaks are cheaper in Texas, might be able to afford one annually. :roll:
Deputy Dave

Smoken Riggs
Pilgrim

Postby Smoken Riggs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 am

Ribeye is also my cut of choice. Generally its seasoned with salt & pepper and sometimes a little butter. On occasion we will marinade a steak with Teriyaki and Soy Sauce just for something different.
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 am

I agree with the previous poster that there is a big difference between Select and Choice and an almost as big difference between Choice and Prime. I got some Rib-Eyes (my favorite by far) from HEB that were Prime for $4.97 per pound a while back. The wife noticed the difference right away. The tenderness and flavor was fantastic. Once you go back to Select or Choice, it is a bit of a letdown.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Steak differences ?

Postby atcNick » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 am

I just cooked my first prime ribeyes (from heb) the other day. They were very good but I overcooked them a little. Have you guys noticed that primes cook a little faster?

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Yes, prime quality meat tends to be ready at shorter cooking times.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm a NY steak guy. But my local supermarkets usually carry either (poor) choice or select...except for Whole Foods markets, which carry very good choice or sometimes prime. The issue I have with shopping at Whole Foods is that a nice thick NY prime will cost about $35. I just think that's a bit outta whack, although I'll do it when I don't want more than one steak. Costco will sell prime NY in a 2 or 3 pack for not much more. If I have to get supermarket choice or select meat, I will sometimes get a spencer or ribeye which has more marbling. You guys that like ribeyes in select or choice should give a prime NY a try sometime. Similar fat content. I never would marinate a piece of prime steak, never.

I have had some marinated boot leather steaks. That seemed to help them.
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”