Steak differences ?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Steak differences ?

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:19 am

Some friend is telling me that a Porterhouse is the same as a T-Bone but just bigger in that it has more ribeye meat. Dont really know much about different steaks, I always buy ribeyes and occassionaly New York strips when I cook steaks. Can you really tell the different between "prime" and "choice"? Ever injected a steak? I tried this past weekend and the stuff just shot out every where, didnt seem to hold in the meat.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
tntbbq USER_AVATAR
tntbbq
Rustler

Re: Steak differences ?

Postby tntbbq » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:24 am

A porterhouse will have more tenderloin, not ribeye. Can't afford prime so I can't help ya there.
3 WSM for comps Larry<Moe<Curley
TNT BBQ CO. Competion BBQ Team
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:53 am

if prepared properly, there is a difference between choice and prim. there is a HUGE difference between select and choice.

but if your marinating or injecting or cooking to med or more, stay with choice.

i normally get choice, if we are have company over, id get prime, salt = pepper = heat. that is all

i've never injected, but i do marinade if it's a poor cut, or I'm going for a unique dish.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 am

T bones are two steaks in one NY Strip and Fillet Minion. Not my 1st choice I prefer Ribeyes Ny strip& sirloin in that order. If you can afford Prime beef it will spoil you as it has twice the marbling of Choice. I have never injected a steak because I like my steak to taste like steak and I like it rare. Steaks need to be cooked with extreme high heat for a very short time. Injecting is better suited to meat that has a long cooking time as it adds moisture along with added flavors.
When I prepare a steak I scrape both sides with the edge of a knife to remove the saw blade sludge and it goes on the grill "Naked" I season after the cook with a pinch of flaky Sea salt and a pat of roasted garlic & rosemary compound butter. Simple and Delicious!
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 am

CJATE wrote:if prepared properly, there is a difference between choice and prim. there is a HUGE difference between select and choice.

but if your marinating or injecting or cooking to med or more, stay with choice.

i normally get choice, if we are have company over, id get prime, salt = pepper = heat. that is all

i've never injected, but i do marinade if it's a poor cut, or I'm going for a unique dish.

What do you marinade with?

thanks
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
cowboy45
Pilgrim

Postby cowboy45 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 am

The porterhouse is actually the first cut off the shortloin after the sirloin is removed. The ribeye is between the strip and chuck.The difference between prime and choice is the amount of internal marbleing. It doesn't matter if it's black angus or brahma, prime is prime. :)
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 am

RWBTEX wrote:
CJATE wrote:if prepared properly, there is a difference between choice and prim. there is a HUGE difference between select and choice.

thanks

what are you serving it with?
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 am

T-bone steaks cut closer to the shoulder are known as Porterhouse while those cut closer to the loin are just T-bones as this is a smaller cut and the fillet is much smaller if at all there.

The Porter cut will have both the loin and fillet (tenderloin) attached, the T-Bone has the fillet (tenderloin) removed.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
bigbob73 USER_AVATAR
bigbob73
Rustler

Postby bigbob73 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:02 pm

RWBTEX wrote:

thanks

great stuff!
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I personally would never marinade a steak. I think it would take too much away from the beef flavor. I think beef should tates like beef and only have things added to it to enhance that flavor. I do infuse my olive oil with Garlic, shallots and a little thyme for a week or two and put that on my steak before applying my rub. This, in sorts, does create a marinade or wet rub (paste) but it isnt on there long enough to do anything but create a nice crust on the outside. I also believe that steaks should be cooked over mesquite that has been burnt down to only coals and get it as hot as possible. Everyone has thier own way though, this is just how I like to do it!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
snow bunny USER_AVATAR
Snow Bunny
Cowboy

Postby Snow Bunny » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Good hot fire, kosher salt, cracked black pepper, seared and served, simple and good :D
This is the Pits BBQ
Custom Trailer Smoker by Gatorpit
22 Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Spirit Gasser
22 Weber OTG
Mini WSM Chicken Cooker
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:37 pm

cowboy45 wrote:The porterhouse is actually the first cut off the shortloin after the sirloin is removed. The ribeye is between the strip and chuck.The difference between prime and choice is the amount of internal marbleing. It doesn't matter if it's black angus or brahma, prime is prime. :)

Its for a competition at the cook off this weekend. part of the jack pot and points will apply to GC. Thanks for all the replys.
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Ribeyes are my favorite and I like salt, pepper and butter on mine. I've never marinated, but I'm definately not against trying it someday.
"Sic 'em Bears"
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:47 pm

I'd never marinade a ribeye - only cheaper cuts of steaks. I like my ribeyes rare with salt & pepper.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
cowboy45
Pilgrim

Postby cowboy45 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:28 pm

txngent wrote:Image

T-bone steaks cut closer to the shoulder are known as Porterhouse while those cut closer to the loin are just T-bones as this is a smaller cut and the fillet is much smaller if at all there.

The Porter cut will have both the loin and fillet (tenderloin) attached, the T-Bone has the fillet (tenderloin) removed.

Not to be a knowitall, but that is incorrect. The porterhous is the first cut on the loin after the sirloin, usually 2-3 cuts and is then considered a t-bone. The tenderloin tapers down along the way. Next is the ribeye that eventually goes to the chuck.
How do I know this you ask? I made my living as a butcher for about 10 yrs when I was younger. :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”