TPJ Question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ddog27 USER_AVATAR
ddog27
Rustler

TPJ Question

Postby ddog27 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:51 am

Hey I love putting Texas pepper jelly on my BBQ ribs. I love the flavors that I get from using them. My question is:

Is there anyway to tone down the heat and not lose the flavors, so that it could be used on competition meats?
D-dog's BBQ Rubs, It's better than ketchup!

http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 am

Why don't you experiment with making your own? It shouldn't be too hard.
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:52 pm

I really don't know :dont: I don't care for pepper jelly :roll: Maybe mix it with the same flavor reg jelly :scratch: I'm sure someone has done it. :D
Jim
sloaf USER_AVATAR
Sloaf
Pilgrim

Postby Sloaf » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:55 pm

I don't know exactly what pepper jelly is, but I made jalapeno jelly one time (I assume this is similar). The recipe used store-bought apple jelly as the base, and added other flavors to it.

You might try mixing your pepper jelly with a mild apple jelly to dilute it a bit. The apple shouldn't contribute any crazy flavors, and may actually support anything you may be doing with cider vinegar or apple juice.

Now you've got me thinking about what flavors of jelly I might use in my BBQ... ;)
-Sloaf
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Re: TPJ Question

Postby Big Mike » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:51 pm

ddog27 wrote:Hey I love putting Texas pepper jelly on my BBQ ribs. I love the flavors that I get from using them. My question is:

Is there anyway to tone down the heat and not lose the flavors, so that it could be used on competition meats?

Do you use the Habanero TPJs or the Jalapeno TPJs. I like the Jalapeno ones better because they don't have that much heat. The blueberry jalapeno TPJ is great on toast. I couldn't stop eatin the stuff.

If nothing else, just cut back on the amount you use.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:21 pm

I use the peach/habanero and the pineapple/habanero on my ribs, one thing I have noticed is that the longer it is in the pit the tamer the bite of the habanero. I have also cut it with a bit of honey to bring it down a bit. It's good stuff no doubt........ :twisted:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:29 pm

DaHorns wrote:I use the peach/habanero and the pineapple/habanero on my ribs, one thing I have noticed is that the longer it is in the pit the tamer the bite of the habanero. I have also cut it with a bit of honey to bring it down a bit. It's good stuff no doubt........ :twisted:

what DaHorns just said.....the more temp heat you have tamer it will get
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:09 am

That's funny about habs - the heat does cook out of them.
In a fit of insanity, I once grew 4 hab plants along with a crop of about 15 jalapenos. I natcherly tried my BBQ'd semi chipotle technique (mesquite smoke for 8-10 hrs at 150F max temp)
The jalapenos stayed crunchy and actually got a touch hotter. The habaneros got soft and milder and sweeter.
Mere Mortals need not fear the cooked Hab!

dub(smoky hab relish anyone?)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”