Angus briskets at Houston Koger

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bob n humble USER_AVATAR
bob n humble
Wrangler

Angus briskets at Houston Koger

Postby bob n humble » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:52 pm

on Aldine Mail Route just off 59 north. Was there this afternoon when they put ouit 3 cases. The sale price was $.99lb. Got what I could fit in my freezer.
Bob
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Wish I could find some around here for that price. :roll: I'd fill my freezer too. :D :D
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm

Oh geeze, that's a s gud as it gets for grocery store briskets!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bigwheel
Outlaw

Re: Angus briskets at Houston Koger

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:37 pm

Sure wished my freezer hadnt went to freezer heaven a year or two back. I would be stocking up too. I have wound up with a grand total of one thus far and it Excell select..and the warden seems to be demanding I cook it for July 4th. Tole her I might cook it on the gas grill. Save having to lug around all that wood and charcoal and stuff. Whutcha think?

bigwheel

bob n humble wrote:on Aldine Mail Route just off 59 north. Was there this afternoon when they put ouit 3 cases. The sale price was $.99lb. Got what I could fit in my freezer.
Bob
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:15 am

It was .99 /lb with 10.00 purchase. Got a 15lb and a 12 lb that I have to cook tomorrow for the 4th. Dad bought them and cut them in 1/2. So now I have a 6 lb and a 7 1/7 that I seasoned and dad did the thick side. He wanted me to cook at 150* and do 1/2 way I told him I would do the cooking. Gonna be a long night tomorrow. I have to work the 3rd and 4th...gonna be a long day tomorrow. Thinking of tater skins..but I'll do another thread on that. Gotta have potato salad so why not. had to edit this, was a limit of 2 but thats not bad.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Angus briskets at Houston Koger

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:20 pm

bigwheel wrote:Sure wished my freezer hadnt went to freezer heaven a year or two back. I would be stocking up too. I have wound up with a grand total of one thus far and it Excell select..and the warden seems to be demanding I cook it for July 4th. Tole her I might cook it on the gas grill. Save having to lug around all that wood and charcoal and stuff. Whutcha think?

bigwheel

bob n humble wrote:on Aldine Mail Route just off 59 north. Was there this afternoon when they put ouit 3 cases. The sale price was $.99lb. Got what I could fit in my freezer.
Bob

Say it ain't so :oops: :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bob n humble USER_AVATAR
bob n humble
Wrangler

Postby bob n humble » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:05 pm

Bigwheel I think ya should do it on your gasser. Your cookin it do it how ya want.
Bob
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:42 pm

Well I went out there and checked out the logistics and one will fit but not two. May just hook up my Big Jim Lazy Q burner to Fred and do two. It sure do like to drink up that propane is the only problemo. Problem on the real gasser is to get enough smoke to it. I have to see whut the weather gonna do tomorrow.

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 pm

Good excuse to buy a WSM if you ask me :lol: 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:58 am

The Krogers in our area had the same deal. BUT, since I am new at this I was lost, why? Well, I heard it is a good brisket if you could fold it in half. Well, the ones that were .99 cents had ALOT of fat on them. BUT, I also have heard that is full of flavor. Since they had so much fat it was hard to fold them. BUT, the briskets beside those were 1.99 but had very little fat, and were easily folded. So what is a newby to do when you have a situation like that. I was lost at the meat counter, no one to call, no one to ask.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:14 pm

Packers (whole brisket with the flat and point) can be a bit fatty. Some guys go for "choice" over "select". Guess'n they got a "prime" brisket too, but I don't pay too much attention to it. I've done some "select"s that tasted better than the "choice" that I've gotten from time to time. The key is low and slow, bring 'em up to at least 195 and then a long rest. Just my .02
Deputy Dave

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:26 am

DATs I will take the advice. I am sure I am just over analizing the situation. ( I tend to do that).
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:29 am

At .99/lb I found a few good ones but you can't complain when they're that cheap and you can trim them up. I cooked them a little longer than I wanted to and they were all fall a part tender and tasted great. I still have 2 in the freezer. By the way Krogers also had NY strips on sale the other day in Kingwood for $3/pack with 2 per pack. They over stocked in case of the strike and then it didn't happen. So they sold for cheap before they went bad. I think they had ribs too. A friend told me about it but the freezer here is full right now. Wish I had room.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:27 am

Ant - get the "fat - 99 cent" ones. Thats the right ones for smoking. The other trimmed ones dont work well on the smoker.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”