first attempt at brisket.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:56 pm

I'd put the brisket in the main (barrel) chamber at 225 to 250 degrees. Just aim to keep your pit between 225 and 250.

Then I'd put the brisket in fat cap up and use the rule of half. If the brisket is 8 pounds the estimated cook time is 12 hours (1.5 hours times the weight of the meat). So at the 6 hour mark open the smoker flip the brisket mop if desired and take an internal reading of the meat in several places. Average the reading to get your brisket temp. 6 hours left so after another 3 hours (half the time left) pop the smoker open and get temp readings again, mop & flip ( you are now 9 hours into the cook).

Now if your brisket is near or at 160 to 165 degrees, you have to make up your mind whether you're going to foil or not. If not check the temp in 1.5 hours (half the time left & now 10.5 hours into the cook). From this point you have to play it by "ear". Depending on your brisket temp you have to estimate the cooking time. EX: If your brisket avg. temp is 192 degrees give it another 30 to 45 mintues to check the brisket temp.

This method is describe in Paul Kirk's book Championship Barbecue. When I first started doing brisket I did it this way. With a side fire box smoker this is the preferred way to cook. I use a WSM and have since learned that I don't have to flip. Also another thing to remember, everytime you lift the lid you ad 15 minutes onto the total cook time. So, No peeking.

I've read and tried Jamison & Jamison methods and cannot get anything to cook in the time suggested at the temp suggested.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Also try rrading this..

http://www.barbecuen.com/champ-brisket.htm

It might help.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:12 pm

BFD has some good AD-vice.

ant7,

On an offset, if you are running with 100% wood fire + smoking a full packer trimmed brisket - For those long smokes, I would recommend your foil it or it could get a little too smokey on you...every smoker if different, maybe yours wont. You have the fun of experimenting. : )

Keep us back seat drivers up to speed on you progress...its all good. 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:39 am

all very good advice to me, and I think you guys. I am sure i will try round two this weekend. I will keep you guys updated and pictures pictures pictures
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:42 am

looks like I have not had enough coffee yet. to fix the typo it is "thank" and think. OOOOPSSS

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”