Fathers Day Cook With Pics!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Fathers Day Cook With Pics!

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:10 pm

Well last year's father's day was a bust so I wanted to do it up right this year. As mentioned in another post, my father passed in 1986 when I was 10 years old so I didn't have much to celebrate on Father's day until I became a father myself in 2001.

This father's day was special because my father-in-law wanted to get together to smoke some pork shoulders, ribs, and a ham for himself and he said he wanted to go through the process with me (prep, start the smoker, etc etc). I said no problem, I'll throw on some 'tester' briskets and let's plan it for father's day weekend.

My father-in-law is an excellent cook in the kitchen but wants to learn more about the smoker. I consider him a potential competition partner because he has the interest and desire to learn and help out.

I sent an E-mail to my family the Tuesday before Father's day inviting those to my house for a Father's Day Q. Not expecting many, surprisingly everyone (I have a large family so when I say everyone I mean about 30+ people, kids included) was excited to come.

We did 3 briskets, 2 pork shoulders, 4 slabs of ribs, 4lbs of beef short ribs and a 12lb fresh ham. Here are the pics;

Prep table in the garage. Briskets were injected, 2 with the same injection, 1 with a different injection, mistakingly, all 3 rubbed down with a Brisket Blend left over from last year that is OK but not my favorite.

12lb fresh ham. Lightly MUSTARD slathered :shock: :D and lightly coated with Slap Ya Mama seasoning which is salt, black pepper, red pepper, and somethin like garlic powder and I think that's about it. It's good stuff

Fresh ham and briskets...plus gotta get the smoke from the stacks in there :D

Shoulders, ham and briskets went on about 1am. I have got the smoker down now where it only takes me 30 minutes to get her up to temp :D
I regulated the dampers and added more fuel before I was comfortable enough to go to bed for about 3 hours. Went to bed about 2am.

Checking the shoulder with my thermapen....great tool if you have the cash to throw down on one of these babies.

Ham and briskets

Beef short ribs......these were an experiment that my father-in-law wanted to try....let's just say they should have stayed at the butcher or cooked properly braised :shock: and rib skirt meat for snackin.

Now I kept my temps stable between 225* and 235*. I kept my therm in that ham and from what I've read I should have let it reach 180*. It was a stubborn ham and I never foiled it. Once it hit 180* I pulled it, let it rest about 1 hour then sliced.

The ham was the most unedible piece of meat I have ever had. Drywall had more moisture :shock: My father-in-law was disappointed but I had never done a ham like that.

Any suggestions on a FRESH ham would be appreciated. I've done ham's before but they were already cooked. Never done a fresh ham and would like to do another, maybe pull at 160*? Anyway.....

My sister took home a whole brisket and my brother took home a whole shoulder. There was plenty of leftovers, did some pit beans with the point of the briskets, turned out great. This being my 5th Fathers day I will say so far was my best. Hope all you father's had as good a day as I did, one I will remember for a long time. :wink:

SC
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:15 am

Great looking SC. :D Sorry about that ham :(
A fresh ham should cook like a whole shoulder. !75--!80 internal for slicing and 200 for pulling. The ham in the pic does look over cooked and pulled up on the bone too much. One thing I noticed is where the probe was in the meat, with it being in the small end like that it is possible to have it on a bone or gristle and make it read wrong. :dont: Was the probe reading right? But I'm sure you checked it with the Therma-Pen in the large end. I have laid cheese cloth on the face and sprayed with apple juice if one starts to dry out. I don't foil until I pull it to rest. :D Maybe it wasn't a truly raw ham? Mislabeled. I have had dry cured hams dry out like that when I cooked them. They look fresh but aren't. :roll: Those I only cook to 160*

Oh, and one more thing. The inside of that smoker is entirely too clean. :shock: :D :D :lol: :lol:
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:17 am

Looks good, SC! Yeah, sorry the ham was a bust. :(
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am

That food looks pretty good to me. Course you can't eat a picture. Rapid preheat: Have you switched to lump or not using as much water?

I've brined fresh hams with some success. Fresh hams in these parts are as rare as a Raider's fan at a Bronco's home game. I also "score" the skin in a diamond shape, (sometimes sticking a whole clove in each crosshatch. Seems to help with even cooking.

I've also done short ribs on Einstein...they are little temperamental. Though it's hard, try to get them all the same thickness but not too thick. They'll shrink up the bone to point that they resemble some alien creature otherwise.

I think Wittdog has a cure for fresh hams, though I never done it. Saw a post (on some other board) where he injected the ham with the cure. Results looked awesome.

Maybe you should have MUSTARD slathered that ham :shock: :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:25 am

thanks everyone. Jim, I had the probe in all parts of that ham. It was stuck at 168* for about 2 hours. I moved it to the rear of the smoker and it started to move up. I pulled the thing right at 180*, let it rest then sliced.

The ham was a real fresh ham, the butcher was from a small, reputable butcher in the area that's been around since the 1900's, literally so I was sure I was getting a real fresh ham.

Dats, I only add 4 gallons of water to start and I add the water in the morning so I let it get to outside temps. Keeping with charcoal for now, I go through the lump too quick, seems to be working for me. After about 10 hours I refill the water pan with another 2 gallons of water. Oh and the ham was mustard slathered! :lol:

It was a weird cook, again never done a fresh ham, always double smoked the cured hams with success but anyway. Oh well, maybe I'll stick to those!

Oh and Jim, my smoker is pretty well seasoned! I like to keep her clean on the outside but the inside is a mess!!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am

SteerCrazy wrote:
Dats, the ham was mustard slathered! :lol:

There ya go! :roll: :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:03 pm

It all looks good!

We did a fresh picnic ham. I think we used a mustard slather but am not sure as that was last summer. Ours turned out great but I'm not that fond of ham anyway. I can't remember what temp we cooked it to but it was pulled rather than sliced because it was falling apart. We did pull it and foil in a cooler for a while until ready to serve.

Better luck next time!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Allie wrote:It all looks good!

We did a fresh picnic ham. I think we used a mustard slather but am not sure as that was last summer. Ours turned out great but I'm not that fond of ham anyway. I can't remember what temp we cooked it to but it was pulled rather than sliced because it was falling apart. We did pull it and foil in a cooler for a while until ready to serve.

Better luck next time!

thanks for the tips......Like dats said, I got some tips from Witt about brining and trimming the fat as well. Interesting thing is they said to pull the ham off at 160*........
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:40 pm

Nice pics, glad to see you are enjoying the new smoker, and getting to bring your FIL into it.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:35 pm

bowhnter wrote:Nice pics, glad to see you are enjoying the new smoker, and getting to bring your FIL into it.

you ain't kiddin. the extra hands helped a TON!
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:07 pm

That was heck of a feast! Great Job SC :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”