Cooking Question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Fat side up!!

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:44 pm

TL Parnell wrote: I always try to season my briskets or ribs the night before they are to be cooked, I cook my briskets with the fat side up & smoke 'em no more than 3 hours at 250-300 degrees, then I put them in an [b]old roasting pan that I've used for 20 years, put the lid on it & finish cooking it for the next 6-8 hours or until I can take a knife & the fat on top will scrape away easily. At that point, it is time to take it out of the roasting pan & let cool a few minutes & slice or PINCH a bite off!! I tell my customers that my brisket is "LEAN AS A GREYHOUND & AS TENDER AS MY HEART"!! LOL! They seem to always agree with the part about the dawg! LOL! Ribs, I smoke for about 21/2 hours, the do the roasting pan thing with them too, they always are bone pulling tender too! They usually are done after about 4 1/2 -5 hours of cooking>[/b][/b]

TLParnell;

I know you Texas guys know your briskets, let me ask you something;

1) when you put the brisket in your roasting pan, do you keep the temps 250*-300* ?

2) Before you pull the brisket, do you take an internal temp or rely on your method of doneness?

3) I believe for those who don't have an old roasting pan that a foil pan big enough to hold the brisket and foil the top would do just as good.....

I usually keep the smoking temps between 200*-250* and smoke for about 10-12 hours, depending on the size of the brisket....I've had luck foiling and not foiling, but I've also cooked 'em too long and they were dry as a bone.....

Once they are ready for slicin, I like to slice em thin with a meat slicer...pile high on a hoagie and slop it with some good KC style sauce...MMM MMM
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Start fat side down, flip halfway through the cook :wink:
TL Parnell
Wrangler

Postby TL Parnell » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:47 am

SteerCrazy wrote:
TL Parnell wrote: I always try to season my briskets or ribs the night before they are to be cooked, I cook my briskets with the fat side up & smoke 'em no more than 3 hours at 250-300 degrees, then I put them in an [b]old roasting pan that I've used for 20 years, put the lid on it & finish cooking it for the next 6-8 hours or until I can take a knife & the fat on top will scrape away easily. At that point, it is time to take it out of the roasting pan & let cool a few minutes & slice or PINCH a bite off!! I tell my customers that my brisket is "LEAN AS A GREYHOUND & AS TENDER AS MY HEART"!! LOL! They seem to always agree with the part about the dawg! LOL! Ribs, I smoke for about 21/2 hours, the do the roasting pan thing with them too, they always are bone pulling tender too! They usually are done after about 4 1/2 -5 hours of cooking>[/b][/b]

TLParnell;

1) when you put the brisket in your roasting pan, do you keep the temps 250*-300* ?

2) Before
you pull the brisket, do you take an internal temp or rely on your method of doneness?

3) I believe for those who don't have an old roasting pan that a foil pan big enough to hold the brisket and foil the top would do just as good.....

I usually keep the smoking temps between 200*-250* and smoke for about 10-12 hours, depending on the size of the brisket....I've had luck foiling and not foiling, but I've also cooked 'em too long and they were dry as a bone.....

Once they are ready for slicin, I like to slice em thin with a meat slicer...pile high on a hoagie and slop it with some good KC style sauce...MMM MMM
Hey Steer Crazy, A foil pan covered with foil is great to use! I keep my temp at 250-300 the whole time, once my pit gets to that temp, I can keep it there with my damper! I have several old roasting pans that I've picked up at flea markets & yard sales, that is the best place to get them! if you will watch your temp & use the foil pan, after it has cooked 6-7 hours, try the scraping the fat method, if it is really loose & will scrape away easy, your brisket is done!Everyone has their own ways of cooking them, I've tried about every way there is in the last 30 years & I am FINALLY happy with the way they turn out now! All that have eaten any of my BBQ say they like it & there is none left on their plates! The main thing is to KNOW HOW YOUR PIT WORKS!!! No 2 pits cook the same either, they all have their little quirks! Hope this info works for you, please let me know how it turns out if you do it my way!
God loves you & so do I, in the precious name of Jesus
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:42 am

TL Parnell wrote:
SteerCrazy wrote:

TLParnell;

2) Before
you pull the brisket, do you take an internal temp or rely on your method of doneness?

Hey Steer Crazy, A foil pan covered with foil is great to use! I keep my temp at 250-300 the whole time, once my pit gets to that temp, I can keep it there with my damper! I have several old roasting pans that I've picked up at flea markets & yard sales, that is the best place to get them! if you will watch your temp & use the foil pan, after it has cooked 6-7 hours, try the scraping the fat method, if it is really loose & will scrape away easy, your brisket is done!Everyone has their own ways of cooking them, I've tried about every way there is in the last 30 years & I am FINALLY happy with the way they turn out now! All that have eaten any of my BBQ say they like it & there is none left on their plates! The main thing is to KNOW HOW YOUR PIT WORKS!!! No 2 pits cook the same either, they all have their little quirks! Hope this info works for you, please let me know how it turns out if you do it my way!

Looks good TLParnell.....when the weather gets nice I am DEFINATELY going to try this!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”