Whole Hog, maybe

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Whole Hog, maybe

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:11 pm

This is Leon Festus Hill:

In April is his 70th Birthday and he's throwing a party. He wants to smoke two pigs. Now Festus usually cooks the pigs at these shindigs, but since it's his birthday and his party, he has asked Deputy Dave to Q the pigs.

He's supplying the pigs, and the cooker. Problem is, I've never cooked a whole hog before, much less two at the same time.

I've watched him do it. Flips them side to side and front to back every 30 minutes or so. He uses a 55 drum with a grate (rebar) a hole cut out under that to shovel hot coals out & into the cooker. He uses hickory. No rub and no mop.

So any one here have any advise for me?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:00 pm

How big are these piggies???

Amazing how some of these old timers don't need anything but salt and pepper and smoke to make the best Q to eat :D
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:52 pm

In the past they've been between 60# & 80# dressed. Here's a pic of the last two he did:

Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:56 pm

:shock:
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:58 pm

OSD wrote:Don't know about whole hogs -- it's hard to tell by the pic but, those look to be halved or quartered. Just keep flipping them like he did til there done. Low and slow. Maybe use one of your rubs and a basting mop instead of just salt & pepper. If they are cut up they will be easier to handle. It will be just like doing a whole shoulder.

Keen eye :D These were quartered cause he got a late start, I suspect influence by some Rebel Yell whiskey. They were done for a wedding reception of a local gal. And he cooked hotter than normal (300*) as measured by who knows what.
Deputy Dave

YankeeQ
Pilgrim

Postby YankeeQ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:44 pm

If he's old school he used the old....touch the top of the pit and count...1..2..3...ouch..that's 300 :wink:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:56 pm

Cause I've chided him in the past, he did bring a therometer to the cook. But is was a candy thermometer :lol:
Deputy Dave

dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:19 pm

I hope he didn't take the temp through that pigs nostrils! That would be a sight indeed. :D
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”