Meatloaf

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Meatloaf

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:23 pm

OK... I have my Grandmothers meatloaf recipe and it's the best meatloaf in the whole wide world, especially when she cooks it! :wink: I keep seeing people smoking a meatloaf (or is it actually grilling it?)

How do I do this? Do I make the meatloaf as I normally do and then put it in the smoker instead of the oven? About how long should it take to smoke? What kinda temp are we looking before I pull it?

I always thought that Gramdma's meatloaf was something that should never be altered, but I guess that it's ok if all I am changing is the cooking method! 8) :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:25 pm

I make a loaf and cook it without a pan. I've smoked and grilled 'em (over indirect heat). You'll never want regular meatloaf again :shock: :D

If you can control your temp, do it at the same temp you would in the oven for the same length of time 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:37 pm

I've done them both ways, but I like them better in the smoker. :D :D I usually run it up to about 300*-325*. :D I do like it better on the grate and not in a pan. Or use a broiler type pan, keeps the grease from soaking the bottom of the meat loaf. :D :D

DATs and I will be expecting our sample loaf since we were so quick to help. :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:50 pm

OSD wrote:I've done them both ways, but I like them better in the smoker. :D :D I usually run it up to about 300*-325*. :D I do like it better on the grate and not in a pan. Or use a broiler type pan, keeps the grease from soaking the bottom of the meat loaf. :D :D

DATs and I will be expecting our sample loaf since we were so quick to help. :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Went in and told my wife that I want to do this over the weekend. I was snubbed. "Why can't we have meatloaf the regular way?" :shock: :shock: :shock: But she gave in after I called a divorce lawyer! :lol:

Anyway, I told her let's compromise. I will do a 1 lb in the oven and a 1 lb in the smoker. Guess which one is M I N E and she can't have any of it?!?!?!

Samples will be Fed Ex'ed!
Chuck

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:53 pm

I'll be waiting by the pool with fork in hand. :shock: :D :D :lol: :lol:
Jim
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm doing one (10 lbs) this weekend..... One tip... Parchment paper! helps it hold together on the bottom without the DEEP grate impressions.
Regards,
Scotty
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Scotty Da Q wrote:I'm doing one (10 lbs) this weekend..... One tip... Parchment paper! helps it hold together on the bottom without the DEEP grate impressions.

I have heard of parchment paper, but never used it before. Are you saying to set the meatloaf on the parchment paper when it is cooking? It won't burn up?
Chuck

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:31 pm

impregnated with sand or silica or something. Won't burn. Bakers use it ovens for cookies or delicates that could crumble using a scraper :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 pm

nascarchuck wrote:Went in and told my wife that I want to do this over the weekend. I was snubbed. "Why can't we have meatloaf the regular way?" :shock: :shock: :shock: But she gave in after I called a divorce lawyer! :lol:

I had to laugh at this. Karen'll eat just about anyhing as long as she doesn't have to cook it.

I keep wanting to try one of these. Maybe this weekend, probably next. Let us know how yours turns out, Chuck.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:19 am

Part Larry's recipe, part Griff's recipe, part my recipe....good stuff! I had aroun 8 lb's of chuck and a pound of pork sweet sausage...but decided to keep the batches small. Came out good enough for 2.5 loafs....need a lil more next time.
ImageImage

Smoked with a little cherry, and 1 small chunk apple at 300 for around 1.5 hours til it with 170.
ImageImage

Sliced pics on the cutting board that my Dad (Trekr) made. :shock: Thanks Dad! :D
ImageImage
Regards,
Scotty
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:25 am

Man! Looks good!!! I am probably making a Sams/Albertsons run today and will be buying the stuff for meatloaf!
Chuck

scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:31 am

nascarchuck wrote:Man! Looks good!!! I am probably making a Sams/Albertsons run today and will be buying the stuff for meatloaf!

Grab some parchment paper too. It's the stuff under the loafs. Keeps it from falling through the grates and allows the smoke ring to develop on the bottom.
Regards,
Scotty
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:36 am

Now that's some nice looking meatloaf. :D :D Good job, Scotty :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Do look yummy. Few I have done I just leave out the liquid if it calls for some..add and extry egg and throw it on the grate. Aint never tried no parchment but I know a fella who cooks split chickens on it in an offset and always come out with a good chicken.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:32 am

Another question.

What kind of wood should I use to smoke the meatloaf?

I was at Cabelas yesterday and bought some apple. Would that be good to use?

Hopefully time and weather will cooperate with the meatloaf tonight.
Chuck

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”