First overnight cook, first brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat May 26, 2007 2:10 pm

TX Sandman wrote:You'll have to catch me, first!

I'm taking this to their house for dinner, but you're welcome to join us.

Brisket is at 175*. Smells pretty good so far.

Be carefull of what you say! Remember, I am only 20 minutes away!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am glad that you are getting thumbs up on the brisket! Makes one feel much better after a long cook...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sat May 26, 2007 7:40 pm

Well it went off without a hitch, I dropped the food off at 10:55a and went over how I packed it in the cooler with the manager and went over carving the briskets. I stopped back by on my way home from SA to pick up my cooler and there was almost nothing left. I was able to try the brisket and it was great, still moist even after all the time it was sitting. The ribs we gone quick, or so I was told, and there was about 3 links of sausage left. That was the last group of employees to eat for the day. The amounts we figured on was almost dead on. I'm happy with how it turned out. The manager even slid me $60.00 cash for my time. Can't beat getting paid to do something you love!!! :wink:

I also made a batch of Bill's Suprise Potatoes, in a large aluminum pan they were all gone as well......
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat May 26, 2007 7:48 pm

DaHorns wrote:Well it went off without a hitch, I dropped the food off at 10:55a and went over how I packed it in the cooler with the manager and went over carving the briskets. I stopped back by on my way home from SA to pick up my cooler and there was almost nothing left. I was able to try the brisket and it was great, still moist even after all the time it was sitting. The ribs we gone quick, or so I was told, and there was about 3 links of sausage left. That was the last group of employees to eat for the day. The amounts we figured on was almost dead on. I'm happy with how it turned out. The manager even slid me $60.00 cash for my time. Can't beat getting paid to do something you love!!! :wink:

I also made a batch of Bill's Suprise Potatoes, in a large aluminum pan they were all gone as well......

Sounds like quite a success. Good Job!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat May 26, 2007 11:28 pm

DaHorns wrote:The manager even slid me $60.00 cash for my time. Can't beat getting paid to do something you love!!! :wink:

I hear that! Congrats on a successful cook, and I'm glad the manager thought of you and the time you put in. It's great to feel appreciated for a nice deed! BTW, I'm curious about "Bill's Surprise Potatoes". Do you have a recipe you could post?

Speaking of feeling appreciated, the brisket was much appreciated by the outlaws tonight. Marie hadn't had brisket in a long time, and said this was one of the best she's ever tasted. Karen liked the smoke flavor, but didn't get the heartburn like we usually get with 'cue. So I made 2 Mommas happy tonight. :D

A shot of the flat and the burnt ends.

If you look closely in the foil pan, you'll notice the brisket is resting in a mix of it's own juices and rendered fat. What I did was pour the liquid off, separate the fat, and pour the juice back over the flat, minus a quarter cup or so for the burnt ends. It was amazing how the flat was moist and flavorful, without feeling greasy. And the juices made a world of difference in the taste and texture of the ends. At first they were a little dry, but after absorbing that juice for a couple of hours, they were moist, but with a firm texture and a wonderful flavor.

Originally I expected to feed 7-8 adults with this brisket. I fed 4, plus small kids, and barely had enough left over for a couple of sandwiches. There were a few friends who were supposed to come over "later". Too bad! :twisted:

BTW, Clarissa, the baby, *loved* the burnt ends. Couldn't get 'em in fast enough! :twisted:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat May 26, 2007 11:50 pm

TX Sandman wrote:
DaHorns wrote:The manager even slid me $60.00 cash for my time. Can't beat getting paid to do something you love!!! :wink:

I hear that! Congrats on a successful cook, and I'm glad the manager thought of you and the time you put in. It's great to feel appreciated for a nice deed! BTW, I'm curious about "Bill's Surprise Potatoes". Do you have a recipe you could post?

I was wondering about the potatoes myself...

Rob, that brisket looks gooooood!!!!! I may have to get some lessons!
Chuck

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat May 26, 2007 11:56 pm

It was good! The close-up of the meat looks even better, but I held it back! :twisted:

Bro, we need to get together sometime. Don't know when or how, but we need to make it happen sometime.

Edit: After all this time, here's the close-up.
Last edited by TX Sandman on Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 27, 2007 5:23 am

DaHorns, sounds like your cook worked out great for you :D :D

Rob, that brisket looks good. :D :D Burnt end are the best part :tup:
Jim
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sun May 27, 2007 6:48 am

Sandman that is lookin' good!
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun May 27, 2007 9:52 am

Here is the link to the recipe for Bill's Suprise Potatoes......It's Bill's recipe from texas bbq and the owner of BBQ Rub company.

http://forum.texas bbq.com/showthread.php?t=28028
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun May 27, 2007 10:17 am

TX Sandman wrote:It was good! The close-up of the meat looks even better, but I held it back! :twisted:

Bro, we need to get together sometime. Don't know when or how, but we need to make it happen sometime.

:lol: We have been saying that for what, a year now??? :lol:

But, yes we do... It's just hard with both of our weird schedules...
Chuck

dkm
Pilgrim

Postby dkm » Mon May 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Those burnt ends look good. :D
Just what I need, another board

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”