Hot and fast ribs

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Hot and fast ribs

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Let the ribbing begin!!!! Pun intended! Those of you who have known me for a while know the heart ache and head ache I have been through trying to find the flavor I'm after. Well the last 2 times I did ribs I did them exactly the same less for using baby backs 1 time and St Louis the last. I hit them with salt and pepper only then put them on my weber over DIRECT HEAT at around 400 degrees.... I know I know....blasphemy!!! I flipped them every 10 to 15 minutes and moped them with the wickers every flip. After about 1.5 house I sauced them with sweet baby rays. Believe it or not they were very tender and juicy. No smoke ring like smoking them but plenty of smoke flavor. They even passed the bend test. This is how I will be doing them from now on!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Hot and fast ribs

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 pm

There’s nothing wrong with doing ribs this way. Provides a distinctly different flavor from smoking. Most restaurants (non BBQ I’d say) do this as well. Glad it’s working out for you!

Just watch the flame with that sweet baby rays. That sugar will burn in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Sugar burning at 265 degrees always gets me
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:35 pm

I make sure to move the ribs to indirect heat when I sauce
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 pm

bsooner75 wrote:There’s nothing wrong with doing ribs this way. Provides a distinctly different flavor from smoking. Most restaurants (non BBQ I’d say) do this as well. Glad it’s working out for you!

Just watch the flame with that sweet baby rays. That sugar will burn in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ Sooner nailed it here. Hot and fast ribs can be good and provides a much different flavor.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:09 am

:tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef: "If it works, don't fix it" :bow:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 am

I swear my wife just asked me this past Sunday when I was smoking two racks of baby backs why it takes 4 or 5 hours for me to cook ribs now when it used to only take me two hours. I asked which ones she liked better and she said she thought she preferred the 2 hour way but I have to cook some that way this weekend to confirm.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 am

castironchris wrote:I swear my wife just asked me this past Sunday when I was smoking two racks of baby backs why it takes 4 or 5 hours for me to cook ribs now when it used to only take me two hours. I asked which ones she liked better and she said she thought she preferred the 2 hour way but I have to cook some that way this weekend to confirm.

I would love to hear your results if you do...
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:58 am

the Webber is that the kettle? they are a great cooker I have the 22 inch and cook lots of meat on it they do a great job and last forever...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 pm

spacetrucker wrote:the Webber is that the kettle? they are a great cooker I have the 22 inch and cook lots of meat on it they do a great job and last forever...

Yes. Its a 22 inch kettle.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Every now and then when I'm in a pinch for time, I go hot and fast on my BGE at 350 .....but indirect (plate setter in, no direct heat) with some wood chunk smoke. STL racks take around 2 hours to finish and they're Just as moist and tender as a low and slow
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”