KC Clone for Mr. Earp

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

KC Clone for Mr. Earp

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:Well I made the KC clone. Not bad bud the paste still really stands out. I took out the corn syrup and instead substituted 1 cup brown sugar for a little more body and sweetness. It was definitely an improvement but can still taste the paste base. Should I simmer more than 45 minutes? IS there another base besides catsup or paste? I have to come up with something because there is no such thing as BBQ sauce in Europe that actually tastes good!

its funny you should say that, i tried making my first BBQ sauce yday and found it totally overpowered by the tomato sauce as well! i am also finding it really difficult to get my hands on liquid smoke and i think that the smokey flavour might be exactly whats needed to take away the sweet taste of tomato!

when i get paid next thurdsay im going to order some liquid smoke from the states and have it shipped in to see if that makes a difference, in the mean time im going to use less sugar and half the quantity of tomato sauce to see if it makes a difference!
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: KC Clone for Mr. Earp

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Greg, I can't think of any reason one would use liquid smoke with any kind of BBQ. Now this is just me, but that stuff is awful. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Glasgow Greg
Pilgrim

Re: KC Clone for Mr. Earp

Postby Glasgow Greg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:57 pm

ChileFarmer wrote:Greg, I can't think of any reason one would use liquid smoke with any kind of BBQ. Now this is just me, but that stuff is awful. CF :D

i am so glad to hear that!

just about every recipe i have seen online or in the books i have bought has called for the stuff so i assumed it was maybe the missing link to dull down the tomato paste and introduce that smokey flavour!

think ill do some experimenting this weekend and see what i can come up with!

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”