DATs take on the Sample Spices

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

DATs take on the Sample Spices

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Since I don't have the appetite to do side by sides with all four spices, thought I would put down my observations here as I go.

Sample/tester #1.

Visually test: Nice color, tasted balanced out of the bag (finger tip test).

Cook test: Yesterday did breaded chops. Started off by de-crusting 3 large pieces of sourdough bread then 'toasting' in the convection oven for about a half hour or so at 150* to dry them out. Once dried, I put them in a large ziplock, one at a time, and smashed the now dry slices of sourdough into crumbs with a rolling pin. Yield about a cup and half I'd guess. Then added 1 1/2 TB SP of #1. Ran the chops through an egg wash and then in to the zip for a little shakeNbake action. Then into the oven at 350* for about an hour (longer cooking times at high altitude.) Served with mashed spuds replete with country gravy and steamed broccoli.

Found that the chops had a hint of sweet, the seasoning was well balanced with a tad bit of heat. Wife said they were good but not "great". I thought it better than the store brand. A little bit of an after bite, but that's a good thing with me.

Since this was the first one I've tested, I'm giving it a "5" to establish a baseline between 0 & 10. If the others a are slightly better or worse, they will come in between 4 & 6. A great sample will get a 10, and if some strange queer reason one totally sucks, call it a zero.

I'll post observations on the others as I get to them. (Hopefully sooner than later)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:46 pm

Dats - thanks, keep it coming. By chance, can you recall how #1 would have fared against the eariler batch of test products? Better/Worse/Same?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:48 pm

Test 2 for Sample #2

Took about 3/4# boneless loin chops. Seasoned with #2 and seared in pot with corn oil over med high heat. Reduced heat, added a small can green chilies and covered with water, added just shy of one TB SP of #2 and simmered for 2 hours till chops fell apart with gentle pressure from two forks. Added one small soft corn tortilla torn in to pieces, simmered another twenty minutes. Added yet another small can of green chilies and simmered another 20 minutes.

Used this to smother a burrito. Chile by it self had good flavor but a tad bit on the salty side. Heat wise it was on the mild side. If I were to repeat I'd cut back the amount of #2 and add a little chipotle powder to boost the heat.

I did taste test a thin piece of the loin chop after searing. Had a good flavor but I thought #1 had more heat.

Perhaps not a fair test, as I wouldn't have made greenchileconcoction with say, Lawries season salt by itself but I wanted to see how it stood up. Reserving judgment until I can use it in a more normal fashion :lol:

Can't say how they stood up to the prior samples only to say they didn't seem substantially different.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”