Fire Water with finished PICS

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Fire Water with finished PICS

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:27 pm

If you've been following my thread in the Request a Recipe forum you're already up speed. If you've just stumbled upon this post I was looking for a recipe that I know I have somewhere but can't find. It was a simple sauce that was steeped in the sun like Sun Tea.

In any case came across this one I found in Fifty From The Trail - The Best Cowboy Cooking from a Timeless Land that I got from the good/evil folks at Philip Morris (Camel Cash, Marlboro bucks?)

Fire Water:
4 or 5 red or green chili pepper
2 large cloves garlic
1 sprig fresh oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp salt
2 cups boiling water
Dried red pepper flakes, optional

Wash and cut slits in chili peppers, no need to remove seeds. Peel and slice garlic.

Put oregano, bay leaf and cumin seed into a clean jar. Add chili peppers, garlic and salt; pour boiling water over. Cover and let stand overnight.

Strain out solids; pour Fire Water into a glass bottle, adding a few dried pepper flakes, if desired.

Refrigerate between uses.

Drizzle fire Water over cooked chicken or meat; sprinkle over cooked vegetables. Dip crusty bread into it. Add to soups and stews.

Makes about 2 cups

OK, so this is how I plan to adapt it. I'm going to let it steep in the sun all day. Increase the cumin seeds to 1 1/2 tsp, use 2 tsp Sea Salt (much courser) and scrap the green stuff. Use 8 to 10 dried red chili peppers (from Thailand) and 2 or 3 dried habs (from my sis in Kalifornia) and a how ever many Texas Bird Peppers (From Stan) that I have left (1/2 tsp?). I'll slit the peppers too. Course, I might wake up with a different take on it. :roll: :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Fire Water

Postby JamesB » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Sounds mucho goodo to me! Will be trying it.. or at least a variation of it! :lol:
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks Dave, got this one copied and saved. Sounds good.
a stumpted toe hurts
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks Dave I read your version,,,,you can always add more water...:)
My mother used to make a similar concoction using cayennes but she added some vinegar too....good stuff.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 am

I went with 2 cups water, 9 red chili peppers, 3 habs, 2/3 tsp Bird Peppers, 1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt, 1 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds and 2 cloves of garlic. I poked the peppers with the tip of a chefs knife and put out in the sun to steep.
FirewaterStart2.jpg
Almost added some vinegar but decided to try that later on if this stuff is worth tweaking.

Firewater1PMb.jpg

Its slowly turn amber. Looks like beer, looks like something else too but I won't say it. :roll: Little round things are the bird peppers, they've really expanded. I'm thinking I should have a tossed a scallion in the mix.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:29 pm

That is looking good Dave. Three habs!!!! Hold on for ice cream!! :lol: :lol: . How long before ya strain off the solid stuff and bottle?
It looks good and hot!
a stumpted toe hurts
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Rich, Its color of a good Scotch now. I set in the fridge to set over night and maybe clarify a bit. Plan is to strain it in the morning.
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:14 pm

Firewater2.jpg

FirewaterFinal1.jpg

OK my impressions: The Firewater is slow to bite but when it does it has a heat level close to that of regular Tabasco. :tup: The burn is short lived, which I'm sure the cat is happy about as she slurped the residue that was in the bowl that I strained it into. :bounce: Perhaps a tad on the salty side. Considering there was no cooking with this sauce, it has to be up there on the easy scale. :thap:

Papa is right that if a batch is too hot, just dilute with water and all should be fine. Too Hot? Is there such a thing :dont: 8)

I wouldn't be afraid to add more peppers, more garlic and maybe a pinch of sweet along with a splash of vinegar next time.
Deputy Dave

pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Re: Fire Water with finished PICS

Postby Pony Express » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Ok, so its hot and salty. Can you equate the taste to something?
Sure looks good!
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Looks and sounds great to me! Gonna try a batch soonish...
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm

I once took a creative writing course where the first assignment was to write a paragraph describing the taste of water to someone who had never tasted water. Sounds easy but go ahead and grab a pen and paper... .

The Firewater tastes like water with a bite. There is a hint of chili peppers in the background and if tasted by itself has a salty note (that is totally lost if eating it with tortilla chips). I could not discern cumin or garlic.

It does not have a dominant flavor. I think it would lend itself well to foods that are easily over powered by a robust hot sauce. Since the Mrs likes her food on the mild side, I can see preparing a meal for us that she would like but I would find bland but at the table I could kick it up a notch I by adding a few drops to what ever is on my plate.

Or, it could be used as a base for a more robust sauce by adding vinegar and a little sugar to balance. Instead of tossing out the peppers/garlic/cumin maybe run 'em through a blender for some texture? Might want to bring it to quick boil if using the ground up solids to be on the safe side.

Pony Express wrote:Ok, so its hot and salty. Can you equate the taste to something?
Sure looks good!
Deputy Dave

pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:59 pm

So I would add hot and salt to something without adding its own flavor?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Pony Express wrote:So I would add hot and salt to something without adding its own flavor?

I really think all you would be adding is heat. "Liquid heat" -that's the ticket. The heat doesn't linger like say Insanity sauce does. The salt content isn't overpowering at all, much much much less than say soy sauce. If the salt bothers you, just decrease the amount of salt from the start. I used 1 1/2 tsp Sea salt vs 1 tsp (table salt?) in the original recipe figuring that Sea salt is courser than table salt and perhaps roughly equal to Kosher salt (1 tsp Kosher = 1/2 tsp table salt m/l by weight).
Deputy Dave

madmax52
Wrangler

Postby madmax52 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:38 pm

How well do you think that this would mix with some beans and cornbread? I like a little kick with my beans ever now and again.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:27 pm

madmax52 wrote:How well do you think that this would mix with some beans and cornbread? I like a little kick with my beans ever now and again.

IMO, it should be great... For years I used a vingar pepper sauce (the kind with just vinegar and peppers in the glass bottle) on beans and greens and such... I can't help but think that this concoction would be good in the same manner... Only question is what I miss the vinegar kick?

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”