The dill on pickle juice?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

The dill on pickle juice?

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:11 am

I have a secret recipe which includes sweet pickle juice. I have been buying pickles, using the juice and tossing the little greenies in the trash.

In looking through the recipes - looks like I can omit a few ingredients like Pickle Crisp, since I only need the juice and what is Pickleing salt - is it different from regular salt?

Gator
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:36 am

Pickling salt is just salt with no additives in it. No iodine no anti-caking just pure salt. The additives will make pickles look nasty and the just don't look right either. We learned this the hard way.

whacha makin
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:45 am

Excellent news on the salt, I try to go all natural as often as possible.

Tami, If'n I tell the recipe, I would have to shoot ya! :lol: Just kidding. I have a double secret BBQ recipe I have been brewing for SuckleBusters thats why I am being evasive. :lol:

Still in the test kitchen. BBQ sauce. Old time recipe from East Texas.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:02 pm

Perryranch hit it about the salt, I even tried seasalt & Kosher salt and it doesn't come out quite right. As for the pickle crisp, I would try it both ways to see what you like. I do believe it causes some changes in the flavor, even though they say it shouldn't. :wink:
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:37 pm

OSD wrote:Perryranch hit it about the salt, I even tried seasalt & Kosher salt and it doesn't come out quite right. As for the pickle crisp, I would try it both ways to see what you like. I do believe it causes some changes in the flavor, even though they say it shouldn't. :wink:

Pretty much so. Table salt has iodine in it. Cured ricketts in the US. Those other salts are natural salts. Canning/pickling salt is more course grain than table salt but much finer than Kosher or sea salt.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”