Taste of Texas?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Taste of Texas?

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:16 pm

OK, spill the beans here. I'm guessing when it comes to rubs and sauces for the real Texas Flavor use little or no sugar, heavy on the Cumin, Black Pepper & Chili with just a hint of Garlic.

I make a darn good vinegar based pork sauce (a Carolina based sauce) but haven't hit the nail on the head for a beef sauce.

Texans, what say you? 8)

Sheriff can't say cause it's a trade secret :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:20 am

Im way too lazy to make sauce so I buys it in the bottles. For a table sauce my crew likes Texas Rib Rangers Spicy Sauce. Also makes a good rib glaze. Chickens get glazed with Headcountry Regular and will pass as a table sauce if your out of Rib Rangers.

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:32 am

BW,

Didnt you once tell me that "a lot of folks think 1/3 salt, 1/3 pepper and 1/3 paprika is a good base for BBQ spice" ? Or somesuch, I cant recall + good thing I didnt listen to those folks!

Gator
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:10 am

I heard bigwheel is a Sweet Baby Rays Fan :shock: :lol:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Taste of Texas?

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:39 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:OK, spill the beans here. I'm guessing when it comes to rubs and sauces for the real Texas Flavor use little or no sugar, heavy on the Cumin, Black Pepper & Chili with just a hint of Garlic.

I make a darn good vinegar based pork sauce (a Carolina based sauce) but haven't hit the nail on the head for a beef sauce.

Texans, what say you? 8)

Sheriff can't say cause it's a trade secret :shock:

OK Dats Q you didn't really get a lot of responders so I will.
Like many other places Texas has mixed cultures when it comes to Q. Yes you are right on little of no sugar, not heavy on the cumin but it is normally included and of course salt and pepper. Texas beef sauce is a misnomer since traditionally Texas Q is served dry and no sauce is offered. Of course today sauce is always available but the Q will typically be served with no sauce or glaze. This I believe is a good thing indeed since the is nothing to hide the meat flavor it must stand on it's own. My favorite "Texas style" sauce is Gates original, Heresy you say since Gates is a KC place. Well yes kinda but the sauce is not like KC sauce and it's like Texas sauce and want to know a little secret it is made in Texas!
For the commercial sauces Cattlemans is probably the most common sauce in Texas although it is commonly tweeked to individual tastes.
Basically Texas rubs and sauces tend to be simple with few ingredients and not very sweet.
tarde venientibus ossa....
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:29 am

Another fellow Texan here. I know one thing..grilling or smoking..if you put sauce on a steak or brisket before you taste it, it's almost an insult. Ketchup, A1, BBQ sauce whatever....try it first. Then add sauce. To me if you need sauce for flavor then someone messed up somewhere. Sauce hides the flavor of the meat. Anyone can make a mediocre brisket and make it taste like "BBQ" with sauce. Kinda like eating a Mc Rib. Now I have had some good sauces, don't get me wrong. But to me the sauce should enhance the meat flavor not hide it. I'm sure that goes for other regions also. Had to edit this because Papa Tom is right. Be careful though cause cumin goes a long way.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”