Stubbs BBQ Sauce

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Stubbs BBQ Sauce

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:00 pm

Was in the supermarket earlier and saw a line of BBQ sauces with the brand name of Stubbs. Made in Austin TX. There was original, spicy, mild and something else. Anyone ever try these?

The Mrs is looking for a sauce that isn't pure sugar and sickly sweet like Kraft, KC etc.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:14 pm

They are from a BBQ joint - Stubbs. They are pretty decent for a store made one. When I buy bulk that is what I usually get from CostCo. Most definitely a step up from the ones you mentioned.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:06 pm

That is what I use when I use it. The spicy is pretty spicy too.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Stubbs good stuff......
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:57 pm

Fair to smiddling is the most I can say. Last I time I used it noticed chunks of something in there which give it a bad mouth feel. Dont know any of the big boys who use it for contest cooking. Some depends on whut you got in mind to do with it I guess. Table sauce or for a rib glaze try Texas Rib Rangers Spicy. For a chicken glaze can't beat Head Country regular. You want to paint a little sauce on the back side of the brisket slices right before turn in time..try Bulls Eye Texas Mesquite flavor. Otherwise it mostly crap out there in the big old krewlish world. Stubbs is real close to crap..but way mo betta than Sweet Baby Rays of which a lot of the yankees seem to be fond. That stuff is real bad. Just my .02 of course.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Stubbs BBQ sauce is pretty good. I bought the original flavor.

I love Stubbs wing sauce (inferno). In fact Albertsons had it on the close out table so I bought the last 6 bottles for a buck each.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:02 pm

Our all around go to sauce is Head Country. Used to really like a sauce called Sadler's, but can't find it around here anymore...

Lately, I've become very fond of a sauce called Rufus Teague's. Comes in a pint sized whiskey type bottle... a bit of sweet with a bit of heat... good stuff!

James.

Just went and googled it, the type we've been buying is the Touch O' Heat...

http://www.rufusteague.com/
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:56 am

Seeing how I'll need it tomorrow I'll have to go with what's available here, so it'll be Stubbs. Maybe just send the Mrs, since she's the one that wants sauce. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:06 pm

Used to see Sadlers at Winn Dixie. Seems like they used it in their deli in addition to selling it in big jugs. Thinking maybe I have seen it at Sam's..but wouldnt want to bet my life on it. Had a chum who hit 1st chicken in a purty big cooking contest after marinating half chickens in Stubbs Spicy wing sauce prior to cooking Sorta started a fad for a while amongst him and his chums...started buying the stuff by the case etc. Dont think anybody else ever hit with it again that I can recall.

bigwheel

JamesB wrote:Our all around go to sauce is Head Country. Used to really like a sauce called Sadler's, but can't find it around here anymore...

Lately, I've become very fond of a sauce called Rufus Teague's. Comes in a pint sized whiskey type bottle... a bit of sweet with a bit of heat... good stuff!

James.

Just went and googled it, the type we've been buying is the Touch O' Heat...

http://www.rufusteague.com/
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Stubbs BBQ Sauce

Postby Gator » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:12 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Was in the supermarket earlier and saw a line of BBQ sauces with the brand name of Stubbs. Made in Austin TX. There was original, spicy, mild and something else. Anyone ever try these?

The Mrs is looking for a sauce that isn't pure sugar and sickly sweet like Kraft, KC etc.

Dats I've used the Stubbs rub, mopping sauce and BBQ Sauce on pork butt for pulled sammies with good results.

I know a friend of a friend that owns the company. It aint Mr. Stubbs. Its a couple of young/smart business guys who bought out the Stubbs brand best I can recall...anyway, just a side note. I think the Stubbs was better than the regular stuff you find in stores, not as good as home made.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Dang, 61 years on the planet and I don't think I've ever had bought sauce served with bbq, neither here, nor back home, so I'm of no help to ya with xception ya might try this...
The recipe below is quick, down and dirty simple, does not require cooking and ingredients are probably found in most cubbards. It is not what I serve at the Pit, nor home most of the time, but will do if time does not permit making "real" sauce. Give it a try sometime when ya can't find what yur lookin for at the local supermarket. Suppose I should drop it in the recipe section as well....

Simple Sauce, Just mix ingredients together, stir until blended, let rest an hour or so if possible and serve with your BBQ

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Water
3/4 cup Katsup
2 tbsp Worchestershire
2 tbsp Vinegar
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Pepper
Dash of Cayenne Pepper

DJ
Last edited by DJ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks DJ sounds like a GREAT alternative to the loaded with sugar sauces that dominate the marketplace.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Got a bottle of Stubs Original. Pricey stuff. Will use with beef ribs tomorrow, let y'all know what I think when the meal is over.
Deputy Dave

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:22 pm

bigwheel wrote:Used to see Sadlers at Winn Dixie. Seems like they used it in their deli in addition to selling it in big jugs. Thinking maybe I have seen it at Sam's..but wouldnt want to bet my life on it.

bigwheel

Yep, used to get it in the Gallon jugs from W-D before they closed up shop here... Then Wallymart did carry it for a while, but no more. I contacted the company and they will ship it to me, but a minimum order of 4 gallons. Had heard rumors that H-E-B stores had it, but can't confirm.

James.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:05 am

Stubbs does turn out some good stuff IMO. They have a pretty good marinade for pork that I use on the thick cut chops for the grill. They have beef and chicken marinades as well, but I haven't ever used them.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”