What do you use for competition?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

What do you use for competition?

Postby JaCK2U2 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:23 pm

On one of the other forums I visit, there was a question as to whether you use homemade or commercial rubs and marinades for competitions. I was wondering how it it in Texas. With the variety of products available, what is your preference?
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm

This question ought to bring out the little white lies. :D :lol: :lol: Would guess 60% mix there own and 40% tweak a bought product. :D Since most of the big boys mix and sell their rubs and sauces is why I said this. :D The rest will probably never quite tell the whole story, so that someone else can't copy them. :D :lol:
Jim
larry wolfe USER_AVATAR
Larry Wolfe
Cowboy

Postby Larry Wolfe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:31 pm

OSD wrote:This question ought to bring out the little white lies. :D :lol: :lol: Would guess 60% mix there own and 40% tweak a bought product. :D Since most of the big boys mix and sell their rubs and sauces is why I said this. :D The rest will probably never quite tell the whole story, so that someone else can't copy them. :D :lol:

Jim's onto something!! :o lol

I'm not say nuthin' but I know my sales really get rolling towards the end of February and slow down mid October. "The busiest comp schedule".
Larry Wolfe
---------------------

Visit The Wolfe Pit
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Re: What do you use for competition?

Postby DaHorns » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:45 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:On one of the other forums I visit, there was a question as to whether you use homemade or commercial rubs and marinades for competitions. I was wondering how it it in Texas. With the variety of products available, what is your preference?

I use a rub I purchase for my ribs and brisket. I used to use a purchased rub for my chicken but have created a rub I'm gonna try this year.

I have a question for y'all as well, kinda a piggyback on JaCK's question. Do any of you guys inject your competition briskets with anything? There is a guy over on the Smoke Ring who sells a powder that you mix with water and inject your brisket prior to going in the pit. I was wondering if this is worth looking into. I went last season without it, and was happy with my results, just wondering if its worth the extra $30.00 for the 5# bag.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Well it been a good while back since we done any comping so can't say anything authoritative but back when we was into it fairly heavy would not be caught dead without Joe Ame's Fab products. Started out with FAB B and switched over to FAB P mainly because of the color variances. FAB B turn it a tan color...and take a lot longer to assimilate itself...not unattractive by any means but folks could tell it was shot up and it hard to find the required time element. FAB P purty well keep the color the same and give a similar texture and flavor boosters..but not the highly beefy overtones of the B's. Got it on purty good authority once upon a time that 7 out of the top 10 at the American Royal was using it. Promised I wouldnt tell who tole me that but it was somebody in a position to know.

bigwheel
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Re: What do you use for competition?

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Larry Wolfe wrote:
OSD wrote:This question ought to bring out the little white lies. :D :lol: :lol: Would guess 60% mix there own and 40% tweak a bought product. :D Since most of the big boys mix and sell their rubs and sauces is why I said this. :D The rest will probably never quite tell the whole story, so that someone else can't copy them. :D :lol:

Jim's onto something!! :o lol

I'm not say nuthin' but I know my sales really get rolling towards the end of February and slow down mid October. "The busiest comp schedule".

Larry's rubs have been very good to me in competition. Especially the WRB.

DaHorns wrote:
JaCK2U2 wrote:On one of the other forums I visit, there was a question as to whether you use homemade or commercial rubs and marinades for competitions. I was wondering how it it in Texas. With the variety of products available, what is your preference?

I use a rub I purchase for my ribs and brisket. I used to use a purchased rub for my chicken but have created a rub I'm gonna try this year.

I have a question for y'all as well, kinda a piggyback on JaCK's question. Do any of you guys inject your competition briskets with anything? There is a guy over on the Smoke Ring who sells a powder that you mix with water and inject your brisket prior to going in the pit. I was wondering if this is worth looking into. I went last season without it, and was happy with my results, just wondering if its worth the extra $30.00 for the 5# bag.

No, I don't inject. See above answer. I do save the juices from the brisket, or pork butt, defat it, mix in some butter, mix in some rub, and dip my slices in the doctored up juice. Seems to work good for me.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”