Do you guys make jams and coulis?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Do you guys make jams and coulis?

Postby Russ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Pic of our fence with strawberries growing.

image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Ooooo....niiiiice! :tup:
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Picked today
image.jpg

I've frozen .5kg so far, jam when I've got a kilo.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Wow, Rambo, Mayhaw is something I haven't thought of since my childhood and the Lufkin area should be prime Mayhaw country. My Exes family in the Big Thicket of East Texas use to make that and every now and then we'd score a jar but mostly we had to get it from roadside vendors, along Hwy 59 between Cleveland Tx and Lufkin, that you would occasionally see during the season. :salut:

They're getting harder to find. We used to float down the Angelina River when it would get out of the banks and pick'em off the water; not much Native Bottomland left; they've cut most of it :( :? :(
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 am

10-4 - I know that pain all too well watching major river diversions and acres and acres of beautiful pine timber turned into prairie land -- - As I mentioned earlier I have never personall done any mayhaw preserving but I've done some mulberries when we would find a tree squirrel hunting and stop to harvest. :salut: Dewberries were also a favorite "jelly" and bountiful along the railroad and back roads during some seasons.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Hey Russ
I thought this might interest you.
This video is of a friends Rashberry business up here and a strain of berries developed in NZ.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYAYN8Ljjo
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

bondobill wrote:Hey Russ
I thought this might interest you.
This video is of a friends Rashberry business up here and a strain of berries developed in NZ.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYAYN8Ljjo

Thanks bill, I'll tell the wife to see if we can get some, don't know what our ones are, I'll put a pic up later when I go outside, ours have 100s of fruit due in about 5 or 6 weeks. Can't wait. Raspberry jam and coulis are my absolute faves. This year is our first with fruit. Wife's given plants to our kids from our plants.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Lotta jellies made in Texas along with preserves and sometimes things like fruit butters, like peach butter. My mom used to make a jet black jelly out of mustang grape juice. What we call mustang grapes are a wild muskedine grape that commonly grew around the town of Grapevine Texas, hence the name. Ironically there now lots of vineyards around the town that grow wine grapes with very few native grapes anymore. They were kind of a nuisance, building big canopies over the top of an oak tree that could eventually kill it.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Boots wrote:Lotta jellies made in Texas along with preserves and sometimes things like fruit butters, like peach butter. My mom used to make a jet black jelly out of mustang grape juice. What we call mustang grapes are a wild muskedine grape that commonly grew around the town of Grapevine Texas, hence the name. Ironically there now lots of vineyards around the town that grow wine grapes with very few native grapes anymore. They were kind of a nuisance, building big canopies over the top of an oak tree that could eventually kill it.

Stuff there I ain't heard of, peach butter seems interesting? I love peaches and I bottle them for desserts. I will check out the butter one. Thanks.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”