Roasted Hatch Salsa - Help !

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Roasted Hatch Salsa - Help !

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

OK, she's all mixed up and the taste is Awesome, the heat factor is Perfect BUT the amount of Salsa for that much trouble may take some thinking before I do it again. Can't wait to try it on some Breakfast Tacos "mawn-yawner".

I proved once again that "Even an old blind Hawg finds an acorn now and then" BECAUSE I used all that I bought and roasted and it came out just right. I used only half of the Garlic however.

Thanks again for Y'alls help :salut:

IMG_0072.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Got it poured into two Pint Jars and realized that I forgot the Cilantro that I picked up today - - - - may have to sleep on that addition. :laughing7: :D :lol: :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Looks good. If it tastes good don't mess with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Got it poured into two Pint Jars and realized that I forgot the Cilantro that I picked up today - - - - may have to sleep on that addition. :laughing7: :D :lol: :banghead:

Looks good, as he said if it tastes good don't mess with it. I was going to say yesterday that you didn't have near enough ingredients there. For all the trouble it is, thats why I always make a huge batch, so I don't have to mess with it that often. Looks like you are having a good time playing with it. I bet it is tasty.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:31 am

thanks, I'm a'fixin to find out if it goes well with torts, cackle berries, sausage and pepper jack
good point on the trouble verses quanity :tup:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

"It's What's For Breakfast" :tup:
IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

I roast everything except spices and herbs I put in. Cilantro is always good fresh, but I have found that with a chile heavy salsa, cilantro makes very little difference in the overall taste . . . and that's sayin' somethin' as much as I love cilantro. Same thing goes for Avocado. It also saves a little money. So, with a tomatoe-dominant salsa, use that cilantro right up. :2cents:
Josh
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

OldUsedParts wrote:"It's What's For Breakfast" :tup:
IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Looks delicious, Friend!
Josh
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 am

Blast it! Now I'm hungry.
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 am

thanks, Josh, I'll have to admit that while I was gorging that Breakfast down, Cilantro NEVER crossed my mind :dont: :laughing7: :D :lol:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:45 am

So what do you think? Worth the trouble to roast as opposed to mine or your previous run?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 am

No way I could "Choose" a favorite - - - - I truly like them both - - - yours ?probably? has more recipes that I would use it in but there are some that I can't wait to try with the roasted :dont:

not much of an answer, I know, but it's a Photo Finish so far :salut:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 am

OldUsedParts wrote:No way I could "Choose" a favorite - - - - I truly like them both - - - yours ?probably? has more recipes that I would use it in but there are some that I can't wait to try with the roasted :dont:

not much of an answer, I know, but it's a Photo Finish so far :salut:

Wasn't asking about a favorite, that's like asking which child is a fav. Just wondered if you thought it was worth the extra trouble. My 12 quarts I just made are now down to 5. :angryfire: :angryfire:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:08 am

OH, that "O" word thru me - - - - this morning it was definitely worth the trouble - - - yesterday evening ???? jury's still out :laughing7: :D :lol: If I do it any time soon it will be with my ECB over Charcoal with the charcoal at the bottom and the grill rack at the top and I'll do them in stages so I can make more in less time - - - I.E. Peppers then maters and own-yawns :scratch: :roll:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 am

Definitely try it over charcoal before you decide. If you use blue bag toss in a chunk or two of cooking wood.

One of the benefits of using lump (I know, I know…) is the long burn time. I get a few extra coals than normal going in my kettle, roast my veggies for the wife to make salsa then can cook whatever we are having for dinner. Or I cook dinner and roast veggies while the meat rests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”