Making a rub your own

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

willyd57 USER_AVATAR
Willyd57
Pilgrim

Making a rub your own

Postby Willyd57 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:31 pm

I love making a dry rub from scratch as much as possible. And although there are no huge "secret" ingredients in my rub, the fact that the proportions of each ingredient is one of my choosing makes it my own. That gives me the pleasure of hearing my grandkids say "when I grow up grampa says I can have his dry rub recipe".

I'll list the ingredients that go into my dry rub below. If you use something in your rub that is not on my list, please share that with the group. One of us may possibly add it to our own recipe in the proportion of our choice!

Paprika, ground black pepper, coarse salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, fine ground coffee, cumin, coriander, dried guajillo chiles, dried ancho chilies, dried pequin chiles, Onion powder.

That's it, fairly simple really the only "odd" ingredient really is the coffee and I ain't the first one to use that for sure.

I hope many of you will respond with other interesting elements that can go into a great rub!

Cheers
Bill
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Making a rub your own

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:59 pm

In addition to yours:

Celery Salt
Turmeric
Mustard Powder
Powdered Honey
Ginger Powder
Thyme
Rosemary
White Pepper
Cayenne
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
willyd57 USER_AVATAR
Willyd57
Pilgrim

Postby Willyd57 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Wow, that is a great list indeed!

I had no idea honey came in a powdered form. I think for sure I will get some and use that instead of brown sugar. That is because the brown sugar tends to clump up in the rest of the dry stuff and that makes it hard to mix well. The remaining items on your list are things I will incorporate one or two at a time and see what works.

Thanks for your response!!! :D
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Willyd57 wrote:Wow, that is a great list indeed!

I had no idea honey came in a powdered form. I think for sure I will get some and use that instead of brown sugar. That is because the brown sugar tends to clump up in the rest of the dry stuff and that makes it hard to mix well. The remaining items on your list are things I will incorporate one or two at a time and see what works.

Thanks for your response!!! :D

The other option is to dry out your brown sugar before you use it in your rub. This way it will stay suspended within your rub and not clump up as bad. Just measure out the amount of brown sugar you want to use, lay it out on the counter on parchment paper, plate, etc. and let it air dry for 2-3 hours at room temperature. Then sift it to get rid of the clumps (don't leave this step out).
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Finatic wrote:The other option is to dry out your brown sugar before you use it in your rub. This way it will stay suspended within your rub and not clump up as bad. Just measure out the amount of brown sugar you want to use, lay it out on the counter on parchment paper, plate, etc. and let it air dry for 2-3 hours at room temperature. Then sift it to get rid of the clumps (don't leave this step out).

Hey, Fin, thanks for that tip :tup:- - goes to show you that you can teach an old dawg new tricks, eh :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Sure! I've heard you can speed up the drying process by putting the brown sugar in the oven but I've never tried that. :dont:
DickC
Pilgrim

Postby DickC » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:11 pm

My wife spins her brown sugar in a blender to 'fluff it up' and it seems to make it grainier....but then you uses it for pies, etc. not bbq.
DickC
john20 USER_AVATAR
John20
Pilgrim

Postby John20 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:17 am

I like a sweet savory rub with a kick of heat.
Kosher Salt, coarse ground black pepper, brown sugar, paprika, turbinado sugar, granulated garlic, granulated onion, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder. It's a great rub, give it a shot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Killer Kamado John
Pilgrim

Postby Killer Kamado John » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:17 pm

On that note, does anyone here know what is put into pork rubs that turns Ribs red?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:23 pm

John, are you talking about the smoke ring or something else :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Killer Kamado John wrote:On that note, does anyone here know what is put into pork rubs that turns Ribs red?

Most of the time it's Paprika
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Thanks for the rub mix willy, I love that cumin and coriander is used, they are 2 of the best spices right there in the world. Have you tried adding fennel . I think it might give a bit more taste????? I use them 3 together all the time. :chef:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Just a thought but while on cumin n coriander I buy whole seeds and dry roast before using. The flavour is so more enhanced its unbelievable. My 2 cents.lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
Killer Kamado John
Pilgrim

Postby Killer Kamado John » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:56 am

No not the smokering, the actual redish color of the ribs prior smoking them. Is there a certain paprika for that?
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:13 pm

I'll add Allspice, Ginger, Cloves, Sage, Celery Salt, Mace, Cayenne and Chili Powder.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”