Rudy's BBQ Sause

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Re: Rudy's BBQ Sause

Postby Pony Express » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Just for fun and education, I made up a batch of the sause recipe this afternoon and went to Rudy's to get a bottle and compare. There is a difference in the sause they sell now VS. the early days but its still real close, I think.

I edited the post with the recipe and added quantities for the garlic, comino, pepper and Lemon juice.

What is interesting, in looking at the list of ingredients on the Rudy's Sause, when you get to Worcester sauce , there is a parenthesis ( and everything between the (parenthesis ) is the ingredient list for Worcester sauce right off the bottle of Lea & Perins. That includes the anchovies.

In looking at the ingredients on the can of Hunts Tomato sauce, I see: Tomato puree ( water, tomato paste), citric acid, spice, tomato fiber, natural flavor.

you will see tomato puree, citric acid, spice, and natural flavor on the Rudy's label also.

There is also High Fructose Corn Syrup, sugar and molasses which would be the brown sugar component I'm guessing.

So what they did was list all the ingredients of each component like tomato sauce, Ketchup, Worcester sauce.
There are lots of stuff that was not in it originally like beef powder? soybean oil and the like. So I will now refer to the recipe as the Copycat Rudy's (original) BBQ Sause

If anybody whips up a batch, let me know what you think.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Re: Rudy's BBQ Sause

Postby Bluz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Well I know that most here have been waiting for me to chime in on this topic!!!! Here is my take on this topic, Rudy's sauce or sause, hang on a minute, baby can you hand me the Sucklebusters please!!!!, and thats the rest of the story!!!
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”