Crazy Manny's Pepper Sauce

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Crazy Manny's Pepper Sauce

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:50 pm

Datsbbq got me to thinking about my favorite homemade pepper sauce.

Around 10 years ago, in Columbus OH., I worked with this crazy man that came from Brazil and Portugal. His name is Manny Vaz and the guy became my friend. Over the years we lost touch. If you run across this crazy guy, buy him a brewski and hold on to your wallet because he was always cooking up some hair brained scheme. However, he did turn me on to the mother of all pepper sauces. Ya’ll are going to love me for this one.

Start with a large bottle of Merlot. I like one that has a hint of sweetness. Part of the fun of this recipe is the search for the perfect Red Wine.

Take a large Jar with a large jar with a lid. It needs to be sturdy because it will be under pressure.

Round up your favorite peppers:
Fill the jar half full with medium hot jalapenos
2 or 3 pablanos
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
6 cloves of garlic
2 habaneros for heat and they are optional
(you can throw the peppers in whole or seed and vein. I seed and vein)

Your jar should be 2/3 full of peppers. Fill the jar just a little over half full with the Red, Red wine.

Throw in a handful of sugar to reactivate the wine. (That’s what Manny told me lol)

Squeeze the juice from two fresh lemons, screen the seeds, add the juice to the mixture.

Fill the jar the rest of way with extra virgin olive oil. Leave about an inch of room. Shake the jar every day for 2-3 weeks.

I make huge jars at a time and the sauce lasts for a couple of months before getting real cloudy. I shake the mixture and use a basting syringe to apply.

I’m telling you, this stuff is mega addictive. The olive oil absorbs the pepper flavor. I use it in the last minute of cooking meat. You’re family will be using the bread to sop up every drop.

Enjoy.
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Got to try this. Sounds good
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 am

Does sound good. What brand Merlot do you like?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dilley340 USER_AVATAR
dilley340
Pilgrim

Postby dilley340 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:15 pm

I love stuff like this HOF! Thanks for sharing. :wink:
Doug
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:18 am

Wow...nothing like those backroad recipies...gonna start this today and see what happens...gotttsa go get the superbowl stuff and might as well get this while I am at it... should be ready when college baseball games start coming on !!!!
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:56 pm

Dats, I'm not being a smart aleck here, I honestly try several until I find one I like. I don't like mine to be tart. I like the sweeter variety of red and I'm not talking too fancy. However, I'm not talking TJ Swann either. My experience has taught me if it tastes good when I sip it, it tastes good in a sauce.

Coyote, let me know how it turns out. I think you're going to be hooked on this stuff. I've usually don't eat that much chicken because of lack of flavor. Mannys pepper sauce has me loving chicken. 8)
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”