Spice wars

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Spice wars

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:48 am

Thought I'd report back on the results of our test of the new and soon to be released Hoochie Momma rub. At the cook off yesterday I made two briskets both 8 lb flats one I seasoned with Hoochie Momma the other with what I would say is IMHO currently the most accomplished Texas type brisket rub. First Gator and I tried each and felt both were good but quite different. Later I got three BBQ lovers to try them blind and decide which was better.
The results:
2 to 1 in favor of Hoochie Momma.

BTW I got to taste Hog Waller too. That stuff is really tasty I can't wait to try it on pulled pork.
tarde venientibus ossa....
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:23 pm

Used the Hog Waller on ribs this week-end. Went over well with my customers! Good job Gator! (Yup, I tried it and liked it too!)
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:09 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the vote of confidence. :D

Thus far I have had encouraging feedback on Hog Waller.

I must say that I was happy with the results of Hoochie Mama - it gives off a very beefy taste on brisket and VERY different from the finger test. I need to get a few more results back before any decisons are made. Besting the other rub in a blind test was a suprise for me.

I think the other rub was "sooped-up" a little with MSG. Might be interesting to add a little MSG to the Hoochie and see what happens...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:26 pm

Gator wrote:I think the other rub was "sooped-up" a little with MSG. Might be interesting to add a little MSG to the Hoochie and see what happens...

My Silly Opinion is that MSG and cumin go very well together. I usually use both in my brisket rub and none of either in my butt rub.
The MSG probably would put more schwang in the thang.

Ain't product testin fun?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:54 pm

dub' wrote:
Gator wrote:I think the other rub was "sooped-up" a little with MSG. Might be interesting to add a little MSG to the Hoochie and see what happens...

My Silly Opinion is that MSG and cumin go very well together. I usually use both in my brisket rub and none of either in my butt rub.
The MSG probably would put more schwang in the thang.

Ain't product testin fun?

That's it Gator that's the taste you couldn't put your finger on it was the schwang.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:01 am

If anyone trys adding MSG, let me know the results. We do not use MSG in any of our products so this will have to be an "after market" customization. 8)

It would be interesteing to have both with or without and redo the test (maybe we could convince Mike that Hoochie is better this time). :wink: :lol:
Gator

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 am

Gator wrote:It would be interesteing to have both with or without and redo the test (maybe we could convince Mike that Hoochie is better this time). :wink: :lol:

You put some more heat into it, and maybe it will be there for me :wink:
It was a tough call.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:50 am

bowhnter wrote:
Gator wrote:It would be interesteing to have both with or without and redo the test (maybe we could convince Mike that Hoochie is better this time). :wink: :lol:

You put some more heat into it, and maybe it will be there for me :wink:
It was a tough call.

Good feedback - I am keeping tabs on this, couple of folks wanted more heat.
Gator

puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:11 pm

Gator.......pleeeeze put the Hoochie Mama I tried several months ago up for sale!!!
No MSG!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:08 pm

I just got the Hoochie Mama in the mail today. :D So, I'll give it a workout tomorrow. A small flat and maybe some ribs. :D
I like the color, smell & taste straight from the bottle. 8) Dry taste-I thought it would have more heat. but tasting after it is cooked will really tell. :D :D
Jim

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”