Injection / Marinade?

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k9paws
Wrangler

Injection / Marinade?

Postby k9paws » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:52 am

Hello and Merry Christmas to All

I used a rub on a pork butt that everyone liked, but the question came up as to whether the rub or a variation of it could liquefied and injected into the meat to get the flavor deeper into the meat?
Other question what is the difference between an injection and a marinade?

Thanks
Gary
Take Care, Keep on Smoking
God Bless Us All
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Injection / Marinade?

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 am

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do an injection out of a rub. Now, what to liquefy it with is a question for someone smarter than me. water? Vinegar, or a combo of those. You'd also have to strain I would think to catch any particles that could plug up your injector.

With regard to the marinate/Injection question: A marinate will only penetrate the meat 1/4" I'm told. The injection gets the desire flavoring deeper.
k9paws
Wrangler

Postby k9paws » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks Rambo
God Bless Us All
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Please be aware that many of the injections on the market today contain things that I wouldn't want to ingest. Like Hydrolyzed anything, partially hydrogenated anything, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract (both MSG and autolyzed yeast contain free glutamic acid, a substance that alters your pallet fooling you into thinking something tastes better than it really does), disodium inosinate (jacks your blood pressure up) disodium guanylate (more MSG type chemicals). All not so good for you. Go for a home made injection using whole foods and you'll be better off. Just my .o2.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
k9paws
Wrangler

Postby k9paws » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:53 pm

DATsBBQ,
What I'm trying to figure out is if I can take a homemade rub, mix it with apple juice, vinegar, water or something and use it as an injection. I agreed with that the commercial made products may not be the best choice due to questionable ingredients.
Gary
God Bless Us All
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:16 pm

k9paws wrote:DATsBBQ,
What I'm trying to figure out is if I can take a homemade rub, mix it with apple juice, vinegar, water or something and use it as an injection. I agreed with that the commercial made products may not be the best choice due to questionable ingredients.
Gary

If this is what you are looking to do, invest in a spice/ coffee grinder. Measure out your seasoning out and place on the fine setting and let it fly... It'll turn it into almost a powder sugar consistency, that'll help it dissolve.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:20 pm

k9paws wrote:DATsBBQ,
Gary

The answer is yes. As mentioned before, if your rub contains course materials (eg: cracked pepper) could clog your injector and it wouldn't have a nice appearance on the plate once the meat is sliced.

I'd stay away from vinegars. Strong acids will chemically "cook" your protein over time, unless you want your meat to be "Ceviched". Plus vinegars might react with rub ingredients resulting in unintended consequences. Once I did add (by mistake) straight apple cider vinegar thinking it was apple cider to a brisket when foiling at 180°F and it turned out pretty good. Not the same as injecting though. Fruit juice, water probably good to go. Know that I'm not a chemist by any stretch imagination although I did pretty good in Organic Chemistry last year.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
k9paws
Wrangler

Postby k9paws » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help. I'll give it try sometime and let you know how it turns out. Think I'll try it on a smaller butt, so I don't waste too much if it don't work the first time or 3 or 4............

Gary
God Bless Us All
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Just a lil note as well be careful when injecting or if you marinate with acidic liquids, be sure to place in a non-reactive container.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”