BBQ sauce

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

david@fngsmokers USER_AVATAR
david@fngsmokers
Pilgrim

BBQ sauce

Postby david@fngsmokers » Wed May 29, 2013 12:55 pm

What are the main components to making homemade BBQ sauce ?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: BBQ sauce

Postby BluDawg » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Ketchup & Vinegar
Spices
Sugar
and for some liquid Smoke :puke:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed May 29, 2013 5:02 pm

BluDawg wrote:Ketchup & Vinegar
Spices
Sugar
and for some liquid Smoke :puke:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 30, 2013 7:35 am

david@fngsmokers wrote:What are the main components to making homemade BBQ sauce ?

Most sauces on the market are too sweet for me. Why folks want to lacquer smoked meat with sugar just baffles me. So I seldom use sauce but if I do, well then its homemade or (SB Original) and usually served on the side. Today I'm tasked with grilling up 10# of chicken leg quarters and need to come up with a sauce. So what to do?

Time to open up the books I bought years ago. Love him or hate him, Steven Raichen books are good to go to in a pinch. His BBQ Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades is a great Primer. On pages 142 -145 he covers the basics. They include the Base (ketchup, vinegar, mustard, stocks), the Sweeteners (sugars), The Souring Agents (vinegars, lime juice), the Seasonings (soy, miso, capers), the Heat (bottled hot sauce, fresh chilies, ginger, wasabi), the Aromatics (garlic, herbs, spices), The Enrichers (butter, oil, booze, extracts).

Personally I stay away from ketchup and use tomato puree, paste or sauce if making a tomato based sauce. Ketchup is really a sauce in and of its self -no two brands are the same with regards to taste, viscosity or salt content.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu May 30, 2013 8:13 am

Start with equal parts base (ketchup is a good place to start), vinegar and sugar + seasonings. The sky is the limit.

A lot of folks add meat drippings which works fine as long as you eat it while it is fresh.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

BBQ sauce

Postby NPayne1 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:51 am

The above posts are absolutely correct. I like spice, so I use whatabutger spicy catsup. Mmmmm, so yummy! So glad they sell it at heb here in tx!
david@fngsmokers USER_AVATAR
david@fngsmokers
Pilgrim

Postby david@fngsmokers » Thu May 30, 2013 4:07 pm

THANKS !
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
david@fngsmokers wrote:What are the main components to making homemade BBQ sauce ?

Most sauces on the market are too sweet for me. Why folks want to lacquer smoked meat with sugar just baffles me. So I seldom use sauce but if I do, well then its homemade or (SB Original) and usually served on the side. Today I'm tasked with grilling up 10# of chicken leg quarters and need to come up with a sauce. So what to do?

Time to open up the books I bought years ago. Love him or hate him, Steven Raichen books are good to go to in a pinch. His BBQ Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades is a great Primer. On pages 142 -145 he covers the basics. They include the Base (ketchup, vinegar, mustard, stocks), the Sweeteners (sugars), The Souring Agents (vinegars, lime juice), the Seasonings (soy, miso, capers), the Heat (bottled hot sauce, fresh chilies, ginger, wasabi), the Aromatics (garlic, herbs, spices), The Enrichers (butter, oil, booze, extracts).

Personally I stay away from ketchup and use tomato puree, paste or sauce if making a tomato based sauce. Ketchup is really a sauce in and of its self -no two brands are the same with regards to taste, viscosity or salt content.

I'm not a fan of alot of sugar myself, but I will say that for a bbq sauce coming from a BBQ joint, Rudy's is a good change of pace. More of a spicy ketchup based sauce.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”