Morton TQ

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Morton TQ

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Im reading the link for morton TQ and see porpoliene glycol. :puke: that's the stuff we spray on our 737s for de-ice / anti - ice

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/meat ... quick.html

So much for this stuff. What is cure #1 or #2 :dont:
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Re: Morton TQ

Postby Jarhead » Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 am

sparetimetoys wrote:What is cure #1 or #2 :dont:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&cPath=36&products_id=743
Cure #1 is a fast cure. Normally around 24 hours to be fully distributed in the mix.
Cure #2 is primarily used for all dry and semi dry sausages that need to be aged over time. Think dry salami, etc. I've never used it. Actually, I'm scared of it due to the precise temp and humidity control that must be maintained for a long period of time.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 am

Jarhead wrote:
sparetimetoys wrote:What is cure #1 or #2 :dont:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&cPath=36&products_id=743
Cure #1 is a fast cure. Normally around 24 hours to be fully distributed in the mix.
Cure #2 is primarily used for all dry and semi dry sausages that need to be aged over time. Think dry salami, etc. I've never used it. Actually, I'm scared of it due to the precise temp and humidity control that must be maintained for a long period of time.

Good deal thanks for the help. :salut:
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 am

Propylene glycol is not toxic and is used in many food applications.
TQ contains both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite both can be quite toxic in higher concentrations than you are likely to consume. They are the chemicals that cause the curing of meat that retains the red or pink color and suppresses harmful microorganism growth. Of these two sodium nitrate takes longer to break down and thus is really only useful in long term cures. During the cure these sodium compounds breakdown into less toxic substances that combine further with meat proteins becoming harmless.
I don't often use TQ anymore but stick with cure #1 (modern cure #1, Prague Powder #1, Instacure #1, etc. etc. #1) that contains only sodium nitrite.

Cure #1 should be used at no more than 1 level teaspoon per 5lb. of ground meat (sausage) or 1/4 cup per gallon of water for brining.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Propylene glycol is not toxic and is used in many food applications.
TQ contains both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite both can be quite toxic in higher concentrations than you are likely to consume. They are the chemicals that cause the curing of meat that retains the red or pink color and suppresses harmful microorganism growth. Of these two sodium nitrate takes longer to break down and thus is really only useful in long term cures. During the cure these sodium compounds breakdown into less toxic substances that combine further with meat proteins becoming harmless.
I don't often use TQ anymore but stick with cure #1 (modern cure #1, Prague Powder #1, Instacure #1, etc. etc. #1) that contains only sodium nitrite.

Cure #1 should be used at no more than 1 level teaspoon per 5lb. of ground meat (sausage) or 1/4 cup per gallon of water for brining.

+1
TQ is really salty so be careful about adding salt after the cure. Did a 5# salmon once using TQ, only the die hards could eat it.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed May 15, 2013 9:34 am

Believe it or not Mr. Myron Mixon list TQ as a ingredient in some of his marinades/ injections in his book... BUT whats written and actual could very possibly be 2 different things. I will agree that because of it's saltiness, a little goes along ways.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”