Does any one have Smokin Trigers rub.

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

olddogsbbq
Pilgrim

Does any one have Smokin Trigers rub.

Postby olddogsbbq » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 pm

I've found Jack's Old South's rib rub. I made and liked it. I would like to try Johnny Trigs rub. So I was wondring if anyone has been able to frigure out whats in it. Thanks
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Does any one have Smokin Trigers rub.

Postby BluDawg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm

JT don't do commercial I reckon your SOL!
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I could have sworn I heard him say that he uses commercial rubs and sauce. Said he was too old to be mixing all that stuff up when someone else has already done the groundwork. I have also heard rumors that he uses William's Rib Tickler over a light dusting of garlic powder and black pepper. This is just a rumor though.
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 pm

I remember watching BBQ Pitmasters, and one of the judges was giving him heck about using store bought bbq sauce

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Johnny uses a combo of Obie Cue's sweet heat rub with a few added spices......he doesnt have any rubs of his own on the market.....I was talking to him about rubs last month at his house ....he lives close to my wood sponsor...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
olddogsbbq
Pilgrim

Postby olddogsbbq » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks everyone. I did know from BBQ Pitmasters also that he uses mostly store bought rubs and sauces. I have never been able to catch which store bought rubs he uses, or in what order. Or what sauces he pairs with thoses rubs. Altough he has what he claims is his magic bottle. He has also stated that whats in that bottle will go to his grave. I was just hoping someone might know whats in that bottle. Sounds like this might be the closes I'll get to that bottle. Thanks again and I'll try to find rub that was stated in the last reply.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am

I know he has said that the "magic bottle" is a mixture of two commercial sauces. I'd bet money that it's one part Blues Hog. Maybe the other part might be Head Country. I'm sure we will never know for sure.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:I know he has said that the "magic bottle" is a mixture of two commercial sauces. I'd bet money that it's one part Blues Hog. Maybe the other part might be Head Country. I'm sure we will never know for sure.

The 2 sauces in his glaze I identified the other day when I was watching it, but I will say if you watch the season in it's entirity you'll see that more goes into that glaze than the commercial sauces he refers to.... and yes, Williams Rib tickler is a season he uses on ribs as well. Best synopsis I can give you is I counted 4 rubs/ seasoonings he puts on the ribs (I would be willing to bet 2 or 3 of those are pre-mixed in the "Magic Bottle" because you never see him applying them all just grouped together), 5 ingredients that go into the foil and 5 ingredients that go into the glaze. Obviously the show doesnt show him using them all you just have to identify bottles in the background with a bottle or 2 you know he uses on ribs... and of course the exact quantities are a mystery as well, you just have to tinker with what you like. I can say I made some the other day with what I thought he did and I will say they were d@*n good.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 pm

I dunno folks he sure spends a lot of time with that guy from Big Poppa Smokers that just won that super duper everything in 2012.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Word on the street is Sucklebusters.....jus sayin..
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Don't forget the squeeze Parkay
olddogsbbq
Pilgrim

Postby olddogsbbq » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:07 am

yes the squeeze butter diffantanly as become a game changer for a lot of people thanks to Johnny. I have not had the chance to use it yet but, it will be included in my next run of rbs, chicken, briskcet, or heck anything. I will also be shopping for the seasonings everyone has talked about. I don't want to be a copy cat, I want want figure out how to change my rubs so I can be the all star in my area.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 am

That Rib Tickler is pretty good rub. I won't lie, I've tried to copy Johnny's ribs. SMH
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 am

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:That Rib Tickler is pretty good rub. I won't lie, I've tried to copy Johnny's ribs. SMH

Yea, I've been working on that myself, the worst part is when I thought I had it figured out or pretty close, I had to wait on everything I ordered to come in.... haha I'll never know just how close I am, but I will say I've got a few spare rib trophies sitting in my garage, and the "clone" I did the other day blew what I had been doing out of the water. I had a few buddies over that compete in comp's against me come over and try the end product and give me an honest review and I didn't get any complaints.

I could be wrong but I think something a lot of ppl do when trying to clone his ribs that just doesn't pan out IMO is too much brown sugar in the foil. He says he only uses a handful and I've seen people make an entire bed of that stuff and when they open the foil it's just a brown sludge pouring off and over powering the ribs. Just my take...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 pm

whats the butter for that some poeple put on them?
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”