MOVED from request a recipe - The Fire Down Under

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 pm

I've always thought it was:

pequins - small 1/4"-1/2" long chiles.They're shaped like teensy jalapenos and only grow wild under certain mesquite bushes. Hellfire hot.

petins (or chiltepins)-spherical, buckshot-sized. Like a small version of the cascabel chiles. Slightly less warm than pequins.

These are mostly used dried.

Thai chiles are 1-2" and are used fresh or dried. Dried they are called chile japones. Looks like miniature cayennes or tabascos. Milder than either of the above, but not by much.

I've usually heard "bird's eye" referring to pequins and "bird chiles" referring to the Thais.

They'll all light yer tail up, I tell ya! More heat here than actual flavor.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:08 pm

dub' wrote:They'll all light yer tail up, I tell ya! More heat here than actual flavor.

That's one thing I've never understood. I like spicy, and my heat tolerance is well above average, but I like *flavor*! When it get's beyond me, all I get is the heat. At that point, I could be eating prime rib or particle board, it all taste's the same.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:08 am

TX Sandman wrote:That's one thing I've never understood. I like spicy, and my heat tolerance is well above average, but I like *flavor*! When it get's beyond me, all I get is the heat. At that point, I could be eating prime rib or particle board, it all taste's the same.

I agree, but the only place I've had food where I couldn't taste anything but the chilies was a fish dish in an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam WOW that was hot...
Scotch bonnets have a really nice flavour to them and are my favourite.
In most of my BBQ sauces I don't overdo the chilies because as you said it can kill all the flavours of the meat your cooking which would be a waste!
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Chili Petines, Pequins, etc.

Postby Stan41 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:22 pm

I live in Central Texas and grow the small bird peppers. (Had some with stew for lunch). There are two kinds of small peppers with about equal hotness. In south Texas the Chili Petines grow wild. The mature pepper is about the size of an english pea. The Chili Petines will not survive the winters this far north. (Mills County). I had one one time and it died the first winter. The ones I grow have smaller peppers, not much bigger than a mocking bird's eye. They will survive the winters here. Both types are very hot, but not nearly as hot as Habanero. They are called bird's eye peppers, chili petines, chili pequins, turkey peppers. I grew some Habaneros in my garden once, but don't see the point in doing so since they are too hot for me to eat.
Stan
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Pepper photos

Postby Stan41 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”